UK Train Travel

(12 Posts)
LIZS Sun 06-Oct-13 06:25:30

Got a Super Off Peak in the end as that seems valid at weekends. Could probably have done it cheaper if booked singles in advance bit it worked out ok.

mummytime Sat 05-Oct-13 10:59:21

Also beware of some websites. If you buy from a train company one they won't charge a booking fee, other websites will.

What I've found weird is that as well as being able to get a good price when the tickets first come out, you can sometimes also get a good price when buying much closer to the date. It once even proved cheaper for us to go via London rather than across country.

Often there is a Super-Off Peak fare, this has bigger restrictions, but if you can cope with them it gives a better price.

NotCitrus Sat 05-Oct-13 10:55:18

If you buy two tickets to split the journey, the train has to stop at the station you split at - you stay on train. But if the train goes through but doesn't stop, then you can't use tickets to there.

If the tickets allow you to 'split your journey' then you can buy to beyond your stop and get off, if they don't, technically you can't. They've been getting rid of that loophole.

Friday and Sunday evenings are often most expensive.

What's your journey OP?

VivaLeThrustBadger Fri 04-Oct-13 19:39:13

If you split the journey are you allowed to stay on the same train.

If I get a train to sheffield its £15. If I go three stops further its £13. So everyone I know used to buy a ticket to Barnsley and get off at sheffield. But then I read in the paper that someone got "done" for it. I'm too scared to do it anymore.

Hassled Fri 04-Oct-13 19:36:19

It's often cheaper to buy two singles.

34DD Fri 04-Oct-13 19:34:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Fri 04-Oct-13 16:39:24

It's a nightmare of confusion, but there are cheap prices to be had - you just need lots of time to find them.
I use Trainline.com

emmac52000 Fri 04-Oct-13 16:36:54

All depends on when you are going from and to. Never assume it will be the same everywhere. If going far away consider getting a travel card of some kind cos sometimes cost is outweighed by the massive savings you can make

VivaLeThrustBadger Fri 04-Oct-13 16:32:21

I use www.nationalrail.co.uk and just put in stations, time, date. It'll list some trains around that time and recommend the cheapest options.

VivaLeThrustBadger Fri 04-Oct-13 16:31:18

I normally find a return cheaper than two singles, even in advance.

NotCitrus Fri 04-Oct-13 16:29:24

Tickets are cheaper in advance, and two singles tend to be the cheapest option.
Cheap day returns exist if you are buying on the day and going after around 9.30, but advance tickets should be cheaper.

LIZS Fri 04-Oct-13 15:53:32

Can you not just buy a cheap day return anymore ?! Am looking at journey and baffled by the variations in price, anything from £20ish to over £100 for a single trip , all of which vary on different websites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now