We have 24 hours. Do we spend it in Bruges or Ghent?

(24 Posts)
chicaguapa Fri 04-Oct-13 13:01:32

Our weekend break is nearly planned for January 2014.

Eurotunnel is booked and we'll have from midday Saturday to midday Sunday to spend in either Bruges or Ghent. The Novotel is the same price in both places.

DC are 12 & 9. We're hoping for canals, picturesque scenes, gentle meandering, waffles and moules frites. Museums etc aren't important. We just want to soak it all in and sit in cafés all day.

Which would you choose? There doesn't seem to be much between them. confused

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 04-Oct-13 13:47:02

Brugges every time every thing you are looking for.

KateCroydon Fri 04-Oct-13 13:48:39

Ghent. Way fewer tourists and it's beautiful.

chicaguapa Fri 04-Oct-13 13:49:33

Thanks. It's a bit closer to Calais, so has that going for it. I've just read that it's expensive and crowded. Though maybe not in January.

I would say Bruges given your requirements.

apatchylass Fri 04-Oct-13 14:21:06

Don't know Ghent but Bruges is beautiful. You can just wander round cobbled streets, take a little boat ride along canals (you can't have that round tower overlooking the canal - it's mine!) or take a horse and cart ride. The fruit beers in cosy little drinking dens are lovely and the food is wonderful.

chicaguapa Fri 04-Oct-13 14:45:32

Ok. Thanks everyone (and Kate for contributing the opposite view! wink)

We've booked Bruges. A bit angry that the canal boat tours don't run in January though. That would have been ace. But we'll drink hot chocolate and eat waffles instead. grin

Theas18 Fri 04-Oct-13 15:21:58

You'd absolutely freeze on a canal in January if the canals aren't frozen already LOL

Both are lovely but Brugge is a bit bigger. We hired bikes .

chicaguapa Fri 04-Oct-13 15:37:02

Maybe. We were on the Seine in February though. Can't be colder than that, even my bones were frozen! grin

Bunbaker Sat 05-Oct-13 21:44:43

Never been to Ghent, but Bruges is wonderful. 24 hours isn't enough time to spend there as there is so much to see. Wouldn't fancy it in January though.

Portofino Sun 06-Oct-13 17:00:46

Bruges is perfect for 24 hours. Very, very pretty. I personally prefer Ghent as there are less tourists....but as you've booked grin

HisLommel Sun 06-Oct-13 17:05:48

DF took me to Bruges to propose. I loved it there and can't wait to go back (we went for the day, 10am-5pm). We had a horse drawn cart tour and would recommend it smile

MrsLettuce Sun 06-Oct-13 17:07:21

Ghent all the way. Much nicer IMO.

Tabby1963 Sun 06-Oct-13 17:11:24

For your homework watch the black comedy In Bruges (not for children though), it'll give you a flavour of the town smile.

Vagndidit Sun 06-Oct-13 17:13:45

I thought Bruges was way overpriced and touristy, although pretty. Don't know how Ghent compares.

Cointreau2 Tue 08-Oct-13 13:00:16

Bruges is great. We went in early February when there was a bit of snow and it was so, so very pretty. Cold, (!) but pretty. Also really not too busy. I'd especially recommend having a wander through the square at night.

kelda Tue 08-Oct-13 13:02:52

You'll enjoy Bruges.

Gent is great too, the castle Gravensteen is impressive. There may be fewer tourists but Gent is still a large, busy city.

chicaguapa Tue 08-Oct-13 13:26:41

Thanks. We're looking forward to having something to do after Christmas. It's only costing us £175 for the weekend for all 4 of us, so if we really like it, we can go back when it's warmer or choose Ghent instead.

5Foot5 Tue 08-Oct-13 13:28:52

I was in both of them on the same day at the August BH! Ghent in the morning and Bruges in the afternoon. Both looked lovely and Ghent had a very good Sunday Market. However, I had more time to sightsee in Bruges and it is a knock out. I think you will have a great time. We did go on a canal trip but I am sure you will enjoy it even without that. Do a trip on a horse and carriage instead!

I was particularly intrigue by a sweet shop advertising "Chunks of nougat as big as your ass"

Monty27 Tue 08-Oct-13 13:29:15

Haven't been to Bruges but I've been to Ghent and was absolutely charmed by it. :D

chicaguapa Tue 08-Oct-13 13:34:30

Jeez! That'll be a big chunk of nougat then! I'll try to find it so I can crack that joke again to DH. grin

Eve Tue 08-Oct-13 13:37:30

i like both !

What day will you be there? the roast chicken off the lorries in the markets are lovely.. as are the potatos cooked in the fat!!!

BitOutOfPractice Netherlands Tue 08-Oct-13 13:50:48

Bruges. Every time. And so easy to get to.

BitOutOfPractice Netherlands Tue 08-Oct-13 13:54:20

Bruges. Every time. And so easy to get to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now