Alternatives to Egypt for great snorkelling??

(17 Posts)
Carolmillen Thu 10-Oct-13 17:47:32

Perhaps it depends where you've been in the Red Sea Mrs Florrick. We went to Marsa Alam and it was the best snorkelling we have experienced and we have been to the Great Barrier Reef (as well as Mexico and Thailand).

I would love to go to the Maldives but the price is looking a bit prohibitive. I don't want a fancy hotel - just great snorkelling!

MrsFlorrick Thu 10-Oct-13 12:58:42

Maldives maldives maldives. It's a million times better for diving and snorkelling than Red Sea.

Are you going as a couple or with DC?

I could recommend a few places there as I have been 7 times.

There is also Malaysia or Indonesia.

Seychelles but its more expensive and service isn't as good as Maldives.

Some parts of the Caribbean. Curaçao is amazing but its a bit of a faff getting there. Turks and Caicos used to be great but I've not been for about 14 years.

My favourite by far is Maldives. DH and I have been as a couple and we have been back with DC (babies). Cannot beat it. The snorkelling and reefs are the best in the world. Some parts of the maldives beat the Great Barrier Reef by a mile.

You do need to select your resort/hotel carefully. Not just for the best reefs but also on whether you are taking DC etc. it will just give you a better holiday.

If you fly British Airways then its direct and the flight is only 10 hours. Emirates go via Dubai. It's not too bad but a total faff if you have young DC.

Lucky you!! We went to Red Sea earlier this year before the unrest and we stayed at the Four Seasons (best Red Sea has to offer). It was like a 3 star hotel in comparison to Maldives hotels and service.

I am now waiting for next year when we will be going back to the Maldives. The snorkelling and diving in Egypt was just ok. Nice but not that special. And we even chartered boats a couple if times to take us to the best sites. In Maldives you have better just on the beach of your island.

34DD Thu 10-Oct-13 12:43:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eurochick Thu 10-Oct-13 11:39:21

Maldives is amazing for snorkelling and diving, but a week there is enough. It's a lot more expensive than Egypt though.

backinthebox Thu 10-Oct-13 11:37:37

Jordan is fabulous! Mexico (Yucatan) has some good snorkelling too, with plenty of other stuff to see and do.

dontyouknow Thu 10-Oct-13 11:35:33

I would also suggest Jordan. As well as Aquaba for snorkelling and beach, there is the amazing ruined city of Petra and Wadi Rum for desert adventures! Not sure how old your child is but I think it would be great if you don't just want to be snorkelling every day.

Further afield - Thailand, Indonesia and Australia.

Red Sea from the other side - Jordan?

alma123 Fri 04-Oct-13 18:24:25

Pinktransit, yes I know - it's just that if you look at the Foreign Office website, it's such a relatively small slither that is safe and the rest of the country is pretty much off limits. Seems like it wouldn't take much to spill over and I can't take that risk with a young child.

pinktransit Fri 04-Oct-13 12:12:39

Sharm el Sheikh isn't affected by the unrest in the main part of Egypt - I got back from there yesterday after a wonderfully peaceful week away.

Tourism is being affected, so they're not offering the trips to Cairo and Luxor, but the sea trips and the Red Sea is still fine.

Sorry - I know that doesn't answer your actual question, but the Red Sea area of Egypt isn't affected and is safe to travel to.

mummymeister Fri 04-Oct-13 11:56:25

Florida keys. theres loads of other outdoors/water type activities available as well. we did canoeing and snorkelling trips, cycling, fishing and up into the everglades for a couple of days. the weather is really good there all year round - it never goes over 100 degrees even in the height of summer and has a lovely breeze. I would go back there like a shot.

trixymalixy Fri 04-Oct-13 11:00:54

Malta/Gozo had some great snorkelling/diving.

specialsubject Fri 04-Oct-13 10:58:51

parts of Thailand - Koh Lipe was wonderful.

alma123 Thu 03-Oct-13 21:24:55

What are the Maldives like please? Would two weeks be too long with a child?

flatmum Thu 03-Oct-13 20:37:59

Someone told me Croatia good as well bit never been?

flatmum Thu 03-Oct-13 20:37:32

The only other places I have been with great snorkelling and diving (better than Egypt) are Maldives as the other poster said and the Seychelles and Zanzibar - none as direct as Egypt though unfortunately.

Labootin Thu 03-Oct-13 20:34:27

Maldives

alma123 Thu 03-Oct-13 20:33:06

Hi, we love Egypt for the fine snorkelling but need an alternative due to the unrest there. Any suggestions please - anywhere in the world?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now