Would you travel to Turkey this oct half term or too dangerous?

(11 Posts)
Goldenfigs Sun 29-Sep-13 16:48:50

We have the opportunity to go to Turkey near Izmir for a break this October but a bit nervous about it being too dangerous ? would you go ? or not ?
thanks

Crutchlow35 Sun 29-Sep-13 18:52:53

Why is it dangerous?

mumblechum1 Sun 29-Sep-13 18:56:25

? What have I missed?

CPtart Sun 29-Sep-13 19:05:01

In Izmir last month. What's happening?? Get yourself gone.

sweetestcup Sun 29-Sep-13 21:09:07

What exactly are you worried about regarding danger? confused

MikeLitoris Sun 29-Sep-13 21:10:09

Whats happening there? Ive just booked to go next year.

Arrtttiiieee Sun 29-Sep-13 21:11:58

Not remotely dangerous. Are you worried because Turjey borders Syria? It's a big country and Izmir is about a 24 hour drive from that border.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 02-Oct-13 11:49:10

I would go to Turkey tomorrow if I could. There is nothing dangerous about Izmir, it is a lovely city.

If you are worried about Syria then as the above post mentions it is nearly 1,000 miles away and it would take you 24 hours to drive there!

My husband's family live about 100 miles away from the Syrian border and there is no danger there either so stop worrying and start looking forward to your holiday. Otherwise give me your ticket and I will go instead wink

34DD Wed 02-Oct-13 15:06:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SJaneS Wed 02-Oct-13 16:01:59

We were in Izmir and then Istanbul late May/early June when the anti government protests were happening. We didn't see any trouble at all and didn't even know anything was going on till we had a worried call from the MIL. That all seems to have died down (and was really localised and not wide spread anyway). The others are right, if it's Syria you are worried about, its hundreds of miles away. Go - just keep an eye on the Foreign Office site. It's pretty good in terms of accurate information.

flatmum Thu 03-Oct-13 21:03:45

Turkey? Really? I was there in July and there were no concerns whatsoever. I think there are a lot more worrying places to be at the moment tbh (not sure the weatHer will be that great though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now