Niagara Falls in October - any tips?

(7 Posts)
Frostyfoxy Wed 25-Sep-13 13:22:53

I am flying from London to New York, meeting my dh there and then we are driving to Niagara Falls for a couple of days and then driving back to NY and flying home.

Any tips as to what to wear/pack, expect whilst driving etc etc would be most welcome!

Thanks!

ashleysilver Thu 26-Sep-13 11:22:50

The actual Niagara Falls are amazing! I was there a couple of years ago, was completely in awe of the power of all that water. Will you be driving straight there on the NY Thruway? Or stopping off to take a look at the Finger Lakes or something else along the way?

About driving, what surprised me most was the state of the roads. So many of them are horrendous, poorly maintained, lots of potholes, etc. It has to do with all the freezing and thawing in winter.

Frostyfoxy Thu 26-Sep-13 21:33:46

I think we were planning on driving straight through, my dh is in charge of the route. However if there are things worth pulling off to see then we would be open minded to change the route! Off to Google the Finger Lakes now... thanks!

Niagara Falls is amazing!

We drove from Boston to Niagara Falls but were lucky enough to have 3 drivers to share the journey. It's quite a long straight route and I don't think you can go very fast. It's totally worth it though.

We went in July so it was quite warm and humid but got an amazing thunderstorm over the falls.

Frostyfoxy Thu 26-Sep-13 21:49:44

KneesoftheBee - great name!!

I am getting quite excited now, Niagara is somewhere I have always wanted to see and next week I will get to see it!! Yay!!

motherstongue Tue 01-Oct-13 23:56:26

Niagara on the Lake is a lovely, though a bit twee, place to go and visit if you are going to the Falls.

SJaneS Wed 02-Oct-13 16:11:14

Niagara on the Lake is pretty and quaint. Niagara itself has a lot of honeymooning couples and gift shops a plenty. Take some water proofs for the Maid of the Mist boat trip (it gets wet!). If you've got a car and have had enough of the falls, Toronto's do-able in a day trip. Take warm clothing, it'll be colder. Enjoy!x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now