11yo travelling in London - am I too late to get her an Oyster?

(10 Posts)
Franke Mon 23-Sep-13 20:42:35

smile

Franke Mon 23-Sep-13 20:42:02

Thanks everyone and thanks mysteryfairy - that's just the info about actually buying the travelcards I was looking for (and couldn't find on the TFL website). She's only got a German passport (atm and is travelling in 3 weeks- I just don't want to risk it. I think day travelcards are the way to go and actually in the end about the same cost as travelling with the oyster if you factor in the £10 aplication fee. Thanks again smile

mysteryfairy Mon 23-Sep-13 19:53:45

Sorry I see you've already thought of that. No one seemed remotely inclined to challenge DD on age, just told me off for not being organised to have an Oyster card. I would copy her passport or arrange less precious id as it would be a big responsibility to carry around.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 23-Sep-13 19:53:25

If she has a UK passport and can apply "from" her host's address then it should be much quicker.

mysteryfairy Mon 23-Sep-13 19:50:46

I had a similar issue with my 11 year old on a recent trip to London and bought her day travel cards which I think were about £3.50 per day. You can't get them out of the machine but have to pay at a booth, presumably to discourage adults from using them. They're not the most economical means of travel but not exactly pricey if just for a few days so you could just do that and get an Oyster card for next time.

Helpyourself Mon 23-Sep-13 19:45:23

The 4 weeks is overseas. It'll be much quicker with a uk address if they can validate her ID/ age via her passport. It's a pita, isn't it. I travelled in NY and Paris with children and was embarrassed at how complicated and expensive the whole Oyster scheme is.

Franke Mon 23-Sep-13 19:41:58

Thanks, helpyourself. I have a feeling I've run out of time - they say they need 4 weeks min. so I don't really want to risk it. It seems the old fashioned Travelcard at child rate might be possible - I'll just tell her to keep her passport with her in case they don't believe she's under 15...

Helpyourself Mon 23-Sep-13 19:37:29

Looking here your best bet is probably to apply online and ask for it to be posted to the address she'll be staying at.

Franke Mon 23-Sep-13 19:17:50

Please, somebody? <needy>

Franke Mon 23-Sep-13 18:55:29

We're in Germany. My 11yo dd is visiting family in London next month. Am I too late to get her an Oyster photocard? The TFL site says they need 4 weeks, and it's not clear whether I have to be present to pick up the card with her (I won't be). Is there an alternative way of getting child fares? What do tourist kids normally do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now