Driving on country lanes

(6 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Fri 20-Sep-13 20:51:25

I am on holiday at the moment and staying in the highlands. The roads are quite narrow and very windy. I've been sticking to third gear and around 30 mph on all the tight bends etc.

Today I had a real scare as an oncoming vehicle came around the bend on my side at well over 30 mph and literally had to swerve to miss hitting me full on. I burst into tears as it was a real shock, I had my DH, 5 month old and 2.5 yr old in the back and it could have been horrible.

I have to drive home and it's going to involve the same kind of roads again. I'm really nervous about it. Has anyone any tips on how to avoid this or what to do if there's an oncoming vehicle to avoid the collision. Some of the verges are quite high so not sure could drive into it and worried it could be coach or something.

lljkk Netherlands Fri 20-Sep-13 20:52:36

Take a route that gets you to main roads faster. sad

You didn't do anything wrong. Hazard of country driving.

dopeysheep Fri 20-Sep-13 20:53:09

My teachr used to drive around narrow lanes in the school mini bus and honked the horn furiously approaching blind bends. Any use do you think?

BananaPie Fri 20-Sep-13 20:53:14

Beep your horn as you approach corners.

Weirdly, it's easier at night as you can see the headlights of oncoming cars.

specialsubject Sat 21-Sep-13 19:32:13

there is nothing you can do - and if it is a blind corner, even 30mph is way too fast. But if you meet this kind of dickhead there's not much to be done. Using the horn can help.

I had a similar scare last night on a two-lane road, some idiot coming right at me on the wrong side because it is so very very important to get there two minutes ahead. Hopefully he will drive into a tree soon.

No such thing as dangerous roads. Just dangerous drivers.

Tweet2tweet Sun 22-Sep-13 19:31:31

Thanks everyone. Agree about dangerous drivers! Also feel better that I'm taking the really sharp bends at 20mph or less! Felt was too slow but it's the only way to stay in control.

Ventured out today and someone had stopped at a blind corner with hazards on to have a chat with someone! Back to the city for me tomorrow, am missing the frustrations of rush hour traffic wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now