Please inspire me for a family holiday of a lifetime

(18 Posts)
holidaybug Sat 14-Sep-13 19:56:13

We are looking to treat ourselves next year to a fab holiday. We don't want luxury hotels but a real adventure, packed into a 2 week holiday.

Where would you go? Please inspire me!

Can you give more of a criteria? Budget? Any kids going- with ages? Is long haul ok? Etc etc

holidaybug Sat 14-Sep-13 20:54:09

Hi, yes we have DC of 5 and 6. Long haul or short haul is fine. Budget isn't an issue but we don't like staying in luxury places - just normal mid range places.

revealall Sun 15-Sep-13 11:31:42

Something in Southern/EastAfrica? Safari, beaches,wine trails ,whales, penguins. There's masses to experience and it's well suited to children's interests.

I would second the safari idea- we've done it (no kids admittedly, but there were other kids there) and it was truly once in a lifetime stuff. We were in the Masai Mara, combined with a beach holiday afterwards

fishandmonkey Sun 15-Sep-13 15:28:42

safari is fab but it's quite tiring and lots of time cooped up in buses - depends on your kids and how much running around they need. certainly could be an adventure though.
my suggestion is united states. it's great with young kids because everything is easy and there's loads of variety. what time of year are you thinking of going?

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Sun 15-Sep-13 15:45:41

If you are looking for 'holiday of a lifetime' and could stretch just a bit longer than 2wks, I'd suggest New Zealand. Fantastic place, so much to do and see, and very family orientated IMO.

homebythesea Sun 15-Sep-13 15:47:26

Have a look at completenorthamerica.com for USA road trip ideas- we have used them and can recommend

holidaybug Sun 15-Sep-13 19:35:39

I like the Africa idea, safari combined with beach. DC are pretty easy going and used to travel.

Would love to go to New Zealand but it might have to wait until we can go for 3 - 4 weeks as I would have to go to Bora Bora if I ventured that far. Plus it would be their winter then.

We've been to the US a fair few times and whilst there's still so much we haven't seen, it would be nice to have change. Great ideas though ;)

Fluffy1234 Sun 15-Sep-13 20:14:36

Two fab holidays I've done with DC have been Cape Town (so beautiful, great weather, food, value, so much to do) and a twin centre holiday to Rio and then onto see Iguassa Falls staying on the Argentian side in a rain forest lodge/hotel place. Both these holidays had everything- adventure, scenery, some time on amazing beaches and sightseeing. I recommend both South Africa and South America for amazing and diverse holidays.

holidaybug Sun 15-Sep-13 20:34:29

I'd love to go to Brazil and South Africa. The only thing that has put me off is the crime/violence - I need to have a read up I think!

revealall Sun 15-Sep-13 21:58:10

South America is much less geared up to tourists whilst South Africa has built it's economy on it. Perhaps that sounds less authentic but you can look round a township but not the favelas for example.Depends what you want the kids to see.
Personally I'd let the kids do South America on their own in 10 years. It's big and they can find their own fun.
Crime is what it is. I have never experienced anything and I am a naive twat.

34DD Wed 18-Sep-13 13:55:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toomuchtooyoung Thu 19-Sep-13 13:49:55

have a look at namibia. self drive safari in etosha national park, sossusvlei sandunes. amazing, beautiful country, very friendly

greygirl Fri 20-Sep-13 11:44:35

have you thought about europe? going round italy, seeing venice, rome, pisa, pompeii and staying in places with swimming pools? or staying in mountain huts in switzerland? island hopping in greece?

the 'family adventure company' do all sorts of guided tours round places, far afield and close to home, so it might be worth checking out their website for ideas.

my thought is that at 5&6 what may be a holiday for you might not be for your kids. they might like a stay on a farm with a beach close by, with not much travelling. safari might be a bit much for them - many companies insist on kids being 10 so they are safe around wild animals. but you could go whale watching in scotland, sleep at longleat safari park or look for wild ponies in the new forest.

( i know these are comparatively boring but your children are quite small and you might spend a lot of money to discover they hate long flights)

dontyouknow Fri 20-Sep-13 13:09:54

We've been to Thailand, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Goa with a young child and would recommend all.

If you want to do lots of different things without too much travelling Sri Lanka is great. The cultural triangle has ancient ruined cities to walk/bike around, cave temples and a massive rock to climb up with a ruined palace on top. There is an elephant orphanage which children love. There are also national parks to do trips to for a few days looking at the wildlife. Then you can end with a few days on the beach! You can hire a car and driver pretty cheaply for a fortnight, or just book taxis for the day (buses not great with children but the train along the coast is lovely).

If you are looking for inspiration you can see what trips adventure travel companies do - some do tours for families.

holidaybug Fri 20-Sep-13 19:29:53

Some great ideas thanks. Flight time is no problem for us - we've survived flights to Australia with no issues.

oneleftinnest Fri 01-Aug-14 18:49:56

Wondering where you decided to go?
Have you gone yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now