Holiday flights-do i have to pay the whole cost upfront ?

(8 Posts)
fakeblondie Thu 12-Sep-13 12:48:35

Ive got masses of financial outlay prior to Christmas but would like to secure our summer hol asap while prices are reasonable.
ive never booked flights separately before but need to book 5 or 6 return flights to turkey which will be around 1500.
Ill prob book through Thomas cook and wonder if like a holiday you pay a chunk and the remainder 8 weeks prior, or if flights only I have to pay the whole amount up front ?
Also does anyone have a y tips on saving money with flight costs these days ?
We are a family of 4 adults and 2 children 11 and 4-ie do I need to pay for 6 lots of baggage ?
TIA x

specialsubject Thu 12-Sep-13 13:27:39

you pay the lot in one go and it is 100% non-refundable. So make sure you buy your travel insurance as soon as you have booked the flights. You will also be charged for any changes so make sure you get all the names exactly right, to match the passports.

you book as much baggage allowance as you think you will need.

Fluffy1234 Thu 12-Sep-13 16:21:44

You normally have the option of paying for luggage for as many passengers as you want. We normally pay for 2 suitcases (we are a family of 4) if there is an additional charge.

Janek Thu 12-Sep-13 16:28:16

Check what size hold baggage you are allowed - we normally fly with ryanair and never check any bags, we take three of these for two adults and two children which is usually plenty (although i am a little concerned about going away this christmas...)

Fluffy1234 Thu 12-Sep-13 17:27:27

Another tip is if you can fly out on a Monday or Tuesday and when coming back home avoid the weekend. The more unsocial the hours the cheaper the flight will be.

SwedishEdith Thu 12-Sep-13 17:48:31

Can you get a 0% credit card just for this and be disciplined about paying it off? Ryanair charge more (of course!) for booking with a credit card but it does give you some protection should something go tits up.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 13-Sep-13 11:28:31

You have to pay the lot I'm afraid.

If you wait a few weeks easyjet are releasing their summer flights and they are often cheaper than Thomas Cook. We are going to turkey next year and I am waiting for the Easyjet flights before I book anything.

Easyjet have 20kg luggage allowance as against Thomas Cook's 15kg and you can carry more on as hold luggage. We usually pay for 2 cases and then take 2 small ones as hold luaggage.

Yonihadtoask Sat 14-Sep-13 15:48:12

Yep, pay it all as time of booking.

Beware that there is often an extra charge for paying on credit card too. I know you get the extra protection by paying by credit card, but I can't bear to pay the extra % fee.

As above, take out your travel insurance, as soon as you book the flights. Just in case you have to cancel.

Luggage - costs can mount up - £30 or £40 per case - we usually take one case between 3 of us, and use hand luggage wisely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now