Bed times for toddler on holiday

(3 Posts)
Mummy252 Sun 08-Sep-13 23:07:19

Hi! Looking for tips/wwyd! So we are going to Disney world for 14 nights with dd who will be 2.5 (also ds 6 months but he will eat and sleep anywhere!)
Dd doesn't have naps anymore, she stopped them at about 22 months. She has never needed huge amounts of sleep as I don't and my mum informs me I was the same. She VERY occasionally will fall asleep in the car after a day out to the zoo or something but it still only lasts about 20-30mins and I think has prob happens 5 times in the last 4 months.
She goes to bed about 7:00-7;30 and sleeps until around 7:30am, normally 12/12.5 hours a night. Before she cut out the naps she was struggling to get to sleep at night and was up until 11pm midnight eye every night, would wake up still at 7:30 and just be grouchy all morning, fall asleep ok for her nap and be fine after but just not tired enough to go asleep at anything resembling a sensible time. We tried cutting the naps shorter but waking dd up as opposed to allowing her to wake up in her own time is like waking some sort of dragon-beast. Moving naps earlier didn't work because then she wasn't tired enough for the nap, and cutting it out has just solved everything. She is SO much happier and sleeps so much better! She actually gets more hrs than what she was doing with naps if that makes sense! And no probs at bedtime and no grouchy girl in the day!

Anyway. We are going on a big family holiday to Disney in Florida staying at a Disney hotel etc. the general plan is to go to park about 9am, stay through lunch then head back to the resort for chill out/swim/rest about 1:30, be back at resort for 2ish. So allowing 3hrs we would then be heading back out about 5pm, having dinner about 6:30 (dd has dinner 5:30-6:30 now and if she has if later she sometimes doesn't really eat as she's getting tired by 6:30 and ready for her bedtime books and cuddles not sitting up at the table etc)
And then there are evening activities such as fireworks, parades, shopping etc. now we will have the double pram so dd can go in this (she very rarely uses a pram at home as she likes to walk just fine) but I have no idea if she will fall asleep in it or not. I also have no clue how she would do being got out and in the pram to get back to the hotel, if she'd wake up or not.
The holiday is all about dd, I want it to be as good as it can be for her, I've been to Disney tonnes of times so its about her, I've also seen the screaming overly tired kids being dragged around and don't want her to be one of these!
My question then, do I skip the fireworks etc? Do I try to get her to stay up to see them? She's going to fight sleep and fight going home when all her cousins etc are staying out. Do I try the afternoon nap thing whilst were away?
We have a weekend in haven coming up first so I'm hoping this may give me some idea of what to expect but a weekend with a couple of late nights is different to 14 nights, jet lag planes etc!!!

noramum Mon 09-Sep-13 07:20:04

We "only" went to Paris with a nearly 6 year old and she demanded a nap and we all slept for 2 hours after lunch.

Don't underestimate the amount of walking and excitement. We stayed up late as we had dinner after the parade and the exhaustion the next morning was huge, she demanded a nap again but as we left that day and already checked out it wasn't possible.

Just go with the flow and see how she copes. Don't worry at the moment when you don't know how she will react.

Just make amendments of your usual way if it fits.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 13-Sep-13 11:34:10

My girls stopped their naps before they were 2 but they still had a nap on holiday until they were about 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now