Snow or sunshine for first family holiday abroad

(7 Posts)
Pecker20 Fri 06-Sep-13 21:35:11

Your advice would be greatly appreciated here !- I am 40 next year and want to book a fabulous family holiday abroad for the first time with kids, aged 2 and 7 but where to ? I love ski/winter holidays in the snow but think sunshine would suit the children better, especially with entertainment for them and splashparks - if voting for sun - where to (October time) Thank you

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 06-Sep-13 22:24:26

Hi,

I'd go with sun definitely. Your 2 yr old is not old enough to ski so if you went on a ski holiday he/she would spend most of their time in the creche.

This will be our forth year on the trot to Tenerife in October. Love the weather at that time of year, hot but not too hot and some nice hotels and beaches.

mummymeister Sat 07-Sep-13 17:00:12

if you love skiing then go but if you want something the whole family will enjoy I would go with sun. where to go depends on your budget. if you want actual sun rather than just not cold then you need to go further afield than Europe and need to be thinking perhaps florida or along that line as it were. we always start with accuweather website and look for places that have the temp we want first.

fridgealwaysfull Fri 13-Sep-13 16:28:52

In October you'll have to venture out of Europe for guaranteed sunshine. It'll be a shame to book Spain, Greece etc and then get there to discover it's actually too cold for swimming.
We've taken our kids (youngest was 2 when she first went) to SE Asia a few times. Malaysia is lovely and so is Thailand and Vietnam, all very child friendly. Nearer home (and cheaper) are the Canaries and I've heard Dubai is fun but haven't been...yet!

NomDeClavier Fri 13-Sep-13 16:33:51

Look at the islands in the Indian Ocean for good sun in October - Mauritius would probably be great for those ages.

dopeysheep Fri 20-Sep-13 20:56:33

Definitely sun, so easy to pack.for, kids love swimming, makes everyone happy.
Canaries are only 4 hours on the plane, very easy to get to.

notthefirstagainstthewall Fri 20-Sep-13 23:15:15

Think October may be too early for skiing anyway

Do Canaries, Florida or some other fun but well priced holiday area. I speak from experience in that neither child will remember that much about it.

Do something that you will really enjoy for your 40th and save the special hols for when they appreciate the investment. It's two separate things and a good 40th should be your criteria next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now