Mum's 70th Birthday celebrations ideas...

(5 Posts)
JandLandG Thu 05-Sep-13 17:26:32

Hello there

It's my mum's 70th this coming New Year's Day and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions for things that we might not have thought of to celebrate.

She lives in Liverpool and there's talk of staying in a nice hotel in town or not too far away to celebrate the New Year with friends and family, but I wondered if we could come up with something a bit less predictable too.

She's even mentioned going to Edinburgh for Hogmany up there...might be quite good.

So, any thoughts/experience would be much appreciated.

Usual kind of friends and family will be involved. Logistics etc to sort out, but looking forward to a v nice time...we may well split things over a couple of occasions...you're only 70 once!

Ha ha...ok, look forward to hearing from any lovely people

Many thanks

BlackMogul Thu 05-Sep-13 22:07:34

Our really favourite venue on New Year's Day is the horse racing at Cheltenham. May be not be to everyone's taste, but it is extremely buzzy with thousands there. You can get a table in one of the restaurants at the course. You could combine this with a weekend in the Cotswolds. Lots of lovely hotels that would do log fires, special events etc. at New Year.

5Foot5 Thu 12-Sep-13 21:41:22

How many of you are there?

For my PILs Golden Wedding anniversary we rented this lovely big house in the country. The sort of place that would have had servants at one time as there were two lots of stairs and loads of rooms and a HUGE living room with open fires. We had a sort of country house weekend there - all having taken responsibility for one meal and with some dining out as well. It worked well and the DCs in the family loved it as they could have massive games of hide and seek all over the house.

mummymeister Sat 14-Sep-13 10:54:14

Looe in cornwall is great at New year with fancy dress and fireworks on the beach at midnight. could combine this with a new years day swim in the sea. 5foot5's idea about a big house is good too. have a look at groupaccommodation.com and bigholidayhouse.com websites for these. a group of cottages might be a better idea but it depends how well everyone gets on. is she an active 70yr old? my FIL would have loved something adrenalin.

JandLandG Sun 15-Sep-13 23:48:21

hey, many thanks for these...yep big house is a possibility...still pondering...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now