Does anyone have a static caravan and can offer some advice?

(8 Posts)
Kendodd Mon 02-Sep-13 09:12:53

I'm thinking of buying one although I haven't any park in mind.

What I would like is a very quiet small park, doesn't need to have any facilities really, although a swimming pool would be nice. I would like it to be walking distance to a beach or even possibly a lake for swimming. We would probably use it mostly at the weekend but would want to rent it out as much as we could to cover our costs. Also it needs to be cheap to buy and run, I don't have much money.

So...if you have one, what is it like? How much does it cost to run/buy? Are you able to cover your costs renting it out? Would you recommend any sites in Devon/Dorset/Somerset?

Thanks

Oh, also any better websites for posting these questions on?

Mum2Fergus Mon 02-Sep-13 19:27:22

No advice (sorry!) but watching with interest!

I've a site in mind but there is a waiting list so still mulling over the actual van.

purple15 Mon 02-Sep-13 19:58:47

Hi My advice would do not go there.

My parents bought one and after one year when they wanted out it was bad news. On the site they chose, they were encouraged to buy a new one. My dad has been in the building trade all his life and the site owners wanted him to pay them for doing simple things to the ground works around the caravan, which he could do for next do nothing.

So, because the site owners were so greedy, they just could not tolerate how it was run. For example, you could not buy gas bottles your self, you had to go through the site owners and pay really expensive prices.

So, they decided to sell having spent 40k in 12 months, then the site owners wanted a percentage of the sale.

The whole experience was a complete nightmare. If you google the downside of owning a static caravan the horror stories are many and once you sign into a contract, you just can't get out. And a lot of sites, have maybe a ten year life span on how long a caravan can stay on a site.

Please do your research, I hate to think of people signing up to contracts they cant get out of.

Mum2Fergus Mon 02-Sep-13 20:42:44

Interesting read, your poor parents, what a nightmare! The site we've in mind is family run...we've camped there for many years too so have had the opportunity to speak to owners...I will note your comments for our next visit and see what I can find out.

mummymeister Mon 02-Sep-13 23:17:52

you have to be really sure that you are going to get plenty of use out of it for it to be really worth the money ie. are you planning on going down every weekend, every other weekend? lots of places have rules about sub letting even a van you own and to members of your own family so make sure you cover this. remember it might be a lovely family run site now but its still a business that they could sell next year. have heard too many horror stories from friends tbh. what about a large van? cheaper, better than a tent and you can drive it where you want to go so not tied.

Kendodd Tue 03-Sep-13 09:38:43

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll have a rethink.

purple15 Tue 03-Sep-13 11:41:47

Just look around at the site owners. They are whole millionaires for a reason. Rip off merchants. Every thing is about how much money they can make from you. They do not have a static site as a charity. Money money money.

Yonihadtoask Tue 10-Sep-13 13:54:18

I don't have one, but my uncle used to.

From what I heard, it was a very, very expensive weekend retreat. Lots of fees and rules and regulations - not really worth it at all.

We have a tourer, which we keep on a site. Not quite as luxurious, but if we get fed up we can just move it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now