URGENT.....re prepared food in a flask in hand luggage?

(14 Posts)
lotterylucky13 Tue 27-Aug-13 06:58:12

I am travelling tomorrow with my dd(7) who has numerous food allergies and would like to pack a food flask(capacity 1l) with cooked rice to eat onboard.Is this allowed through airport security?A few yrs ago i requested a 'special' meal but when we got onboard,there was none!

Numberlock Tue 27-Aug-13 07:01:51

What airline is it?

gaggiagirl Tue 27-Aug-13 07:02:05

No idea but bumping for you.

thaliablogs Tue 27-Aug-13 07:11:30

Should be ok, it is liquids you can't take. You will prob need to open it and show them, might need to taste it (although regulations would officially say you don't have to) but there is no reason why you can't take it.

SoupDragon Tue 27-Aug-13 07:30:25

It's liquids and pastes you can't take. I doubt rice counts as either but I would 1) phone the airline to check and 2) get a letter from her doctor to explain the allergies.

Are there other food items you could take instead?

Spottypurse Tue 27-Aug-13 07:34:57

I would do like SoupDragon suggests and get a letter from the doctor.

Chopstheduck Tue 27-Aug-13 07:39:02

Surely you must have some sauce with it and I very much doubt it will be allowed.

Spottypurse Tue 27-Aug-13 07:42:43

Also, I watch those cheesy Australian border force and similar programmes, and a lot of countries have rules about food stuffs coming in and you might contravene those?

Hassled Tue 27-Aug-13 07:46:22

You can certainly get through security with vasts amount of crisps, biscuits etc so I don't think the rice will be a problem. I think the flask might be the problem - that sort of metal tube shape will get special attention. Can you bung it in some tupperware?

Chopstheduck Tue 27-Aug-13 07:49:34

Spottypurse - that's only if you want to take it into the country, if you eat it on the flight it's not a problem. Just needs to be eaten or binned before you enter your destination country.

snowman1 Tue 27-Aug-13 07:59:14

I took a flask of cooled boiled water for my baby (she only drinks it warm) when travelling through Gatwick and was told to turn it out, it was not allowed. I think it was the flask, baby water needs to be in a baby bottle. I did get cross about it but she quoted the some air regulations at me..

SoupDragon Tue 27-Aug-13 10:07:18

Possible alternatives, depending on flight times etc are:
- give her the meal before you go through airport security and let her snack on the plane
- find her a meal air-side that she can eat before boarding the plane and let her snack on the plane if the special meal doesn't show up
- find food that doesn't run the risk of falling foul of extra vigilant security staff

lotterylucky13 Tue 27-Aug-13 13:21:26

Thankyou....Travelling with American Airlines......Will call Heathrow and find out....Worst case scenario will be to find something to eat at the airport before we board.....

lotterylucky13 Sun 01-Sep-13 21:13:26

Just to let you know....I took the flask with rice and told 'airport security' just prior to our bags being checked.All they did was open the flask to check the contents and it was finesmile.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now