Trunkies...are they worth buying?

(21 Posts)
er1507 Sun 25-Aug-13 14:26:18

Exactly that really? Dd will be 2yrs 10mnths when we travel and I'm wondering if I should get one?

NatashaBee Sun 25-Aug-13 14:29:58

I like the look of them, but you can take a pushchair/ stroller right to the gate so not really necessary.

Mum2Fergus Sun 25-Aug-13 15:09:31

I borrowed one last holiday...would bother buying one personally. Found it more a pain than useful...

I bought 3 of them last year, still have 2 in the loft and sold another to a friend. The concept is good, but in theory they cause a lot of trouble ie, children wanting to go town hills on them, wanting to take clothes out to fit more toys in when they are just too small and then there is the price.

Will be probably using them next year but probably only to get my moneys worth out of them, if not they are going on ebay.

WhereMyMilk Sun 25-Aug-13 15:28:53

We have three-they are great! The kids love putting their stuff in (toys, books, pens, snacks etc not clothes).

They also ride on them at the airport (or we pull them along) so beats the I'm tired and can't walk thing now we don't use a stroller (youngest now 4) They fit perfectly in overhead lockers.

What's not to like? Our eldest is 9 now and still uses hers, so have had a very good use out of them.

iklboo Sun 25-Aug-13 15:40:00

Sainsburys have them on offer at the minute (£25ish). Was thinking of getting one for DS but really don't think he'd like it.

JacqueslePeacock Sun 25-Aug-13 19:59:06

We bought one yesterday for our 23mo DS. He is madly in love with it! It has been ridden on and played with non-stop and we're not even going on holiday until Tuesday. It's fab. I will report back what it's like during the actual trip when I get back!

ViviDeBeauvoir Sun 25-Aug-13 20:09:36

We have one and the DC love it (4, 2 and 7 months)
They push each other around on it and play 'holidays' where they pack all their essential stuff like teddy bears and doctor outfits.
DC3 loves the bit you pull it along with because its great to chew.
Haven't actually used it for a journey for a long time but I know they'll love having all their own stuff in there (so ill have to buy another two)

olivo Mon 26-Aug-13 08:11:51

Yes, great for hauling DD round Airports; she was a buggy refuser so we didn't bother after 2. They are a good size, and we have had good use from ours.

Interesting, maybe i should give my trunkies a second gosmile

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 26-Aug-13 09:19:33

Really like ours but it was a gift. Put all DDs plane stuff in it.

PoppyWearer Mon 26-Aug-13 09:23:24

DD loves her Trunki but we are contemplating a Skoot for DS. We saw a little boy with one last week and he was having so much fun riding his along, whereas we have to pull the Trunki along.

Anyone got a Skoot?

TheFowlAndThePussycat Mon 26-Aug-13 09:31:22

We find them great - DDs (4 & 5 yo) scoot around madly on them, made getting through the airport soooo much easier - also good to have change of clothes/toys etc in carry-on. I would very much recommend them.

getmeoutofthismadhouse Mon 26-Aug-13 09:37:04

The skoot suitcase is i think half price atm on amazon and the pink one half price in argos.

PoppyWearer Mon 26-Aug-13 09:47:39

Ooh, thank you getme, will have a look! thanks

CelticPromise Mon 26-Aug-13 10:03:55

They are good for scooting round the airport and DS loves his, but they are an absolute ballache for getting stuff out en route. Everything just explodes out because you have to open it like a case.

Mum2Fergus Mon 26-Aug-13 10:34:44

As a fairly frequent traveller (2-3 times a month) I can honestly say that kids scooting about the airport are nothing but a liability. I've seen 6 accidents that I can recall, mostly bumps and bruises, but witnessed a serious head injury where the wee boy ended up being taken off in an ambulance.

dontyouknow Thu 05-Sep-13 17:49:33

Someone rightly pointed out that you can take a pushchair right up to the plane. But.... more and more airlines in our experience give you back your pushchair at baggage reclaim and fewer give it back when you get off the plane.

We had a difficult experience with 2 year old DD getting off a longhaul flight with a lot of hand luggage (trying to keep her occupied for 14 hours!) and Emirates didn't give us our pushchair as we got off as they had on previous flights. We had to wait a good hour and a half to get through immigration. DD was really tired and crying but we couldn't carry her and our hand luggage for that long. If we had had a trunki she could have sat on it and been pulled along.

We bought one for our next trip and think it is great. She also uses it as her overnight bag when she stays with GP. She is nearly 7 and we are trying to persuade her she is a bit old for it!

JacqueslePeacock Thu 12-Sep-13 23:22:32

Well I can report back on the success of the trunki now I'm back from my trip. It was great! Not so much as a form of transport for DS, as we took the sling which got us onto the plane, but it kept him amused perfectly during a flight delay in the airport, and he played with it a lot while we were away (loading and unloading toys, wheeling it around, etc). It is a little heavy to carry, I must say, but was definitely worth it and I imagine it will only become more useful as DS gets older and is able to trundle it around better himself.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Thu 12-Sep-13 23:27:24

We're just back from Australia with 4.5 year old and a 22 month old busy boys. The Trunki was awesome. The both rode on it at every airport, sat on it in queues and it held toys, books, iPads etc.

Along with stickers, I'd say it was essential for us.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Thu 12-Sep-13 23:28:11

It also doubled as a toy box out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now