Holidays for older children with lots of stuff to do. Any ideas?

(33 Posts)
Portofino Sat 24-Aug-13 12:18:19

My dd will be 10 next year and is getting bored of pool/beach type holidays. She really needs other kids but plenty of activities - a bit wider than your average Eurocamp kids club thing.
On holiday this year she really enjoyed the tree climbing/zip wire day we did. But at the same time, we would like a bit of pool/swimming/sunbathing.

Any suggestions of what has worked well for you?
Lakes, mountains, sailing? Activity holidays. Places where there is lots of outdoor stuff to do close by?

Portofino Sat 24-Aug-13 17:47:54

Bump

Waswondering Sat 24-Aug-13 17:48:37

(Marks place)

Portofino Sat 24-Aug-13 18:20:22

Anyone done Esprit at Belle Plagne, or Simply Morzine?

mummymeister Sat 24-Aug-13 23:18:08

send her on her own on a PGL holiday. they are just brilliant. have age categories 7-10, 10-13 and 13 - 16/17. osmington bay is a real favourite with my DC's wait until Jan or feb to book as this is when you get the deals for school hols.

Portofino Sat 24-Aug-13 23:23:18

We're in Belgium and she already does stuff on her own. I'm thinking of family holidays.

Portofino Sat 24-Aug-13 23:26:04

Oh that sounds ungrateful. She has great access to trips in her own, in fact my employer highly subsidises them. I am looking for family holidays for next year.

Fluffy1234 Sun 25-Aug-13 08:44:34

Would you consider a cruise, there's always lots going on to do as a family or things for your DD to do whilst you sunbathe. Or a club med/sunsail type holiday is another option.

Taffeta Sun 25-Aug-13 19:20:27

We're just back from Lake Garda where there is pots to do. Seemed quite popular with teenagers although ours are younger. The place we stayed had a big swimming pool, and other activities like beach volleyball table tennis, tennis academy, football etc. We had BB and hired a car as lots to do and see also in the vicinity. Cycling good, boat trips and Verona and Venice close enough too.

ElephantsEye Sun 25-Aug-13 19:53:21

Most of the big holiday camp operators have some sites with a wide range of activities. Look out for the ones trying to appeal to teenagers.

If she likes water activities, we went to one which had its own lake and lakeside beach near Biscarosse, south of Bordeaux, in Les Landes. It's set in a forest. There's also Europe's highest sand dune to climb nearby, Dune de Pyla. You're not far from the Atlantic coast if you are into surfing.

Portofino Sun 25-Aug-13 20:24:45

Where did you stay Taffeta?

Portofino Sun 25-Aug-13 20:26:24

Ooh I have looked at Biscarosse before I think.

Taffeta Sun 25-Aug-13 20:30:35

Will PM you.

We are just en route home from French alps. Brilliant holiday! Swimming cycling - both mountain biking on chair lifts and a couple of mini Tour de France routes. Also jungle adventure rafting and via ferrata. We go independently and it is v easy to sort out. Swimming in lake with other water sports but pool is fab with slides.

Loads of Belgians where we were! Not so many Brits!

Portofino Sun 25-Aug-13 20:59:24

Again sounds interesting grin. Where did you stay?

At the mo I have a plan in my head that says drive to Italian riviera and Cinque Terre for a week as we love it there. - if you ever wondered about my user name wink, drive over to Lakes for one week. we went to Como a couple of years ago and I have been to Peschiera del Garda about 20 years ago...., then drive back to Brussels and have a week in the Alps on the way....

And then the thought of a cruise - Dh used to work on the cruise liners but never did one as a passenger. Or sailing in Greece....but I must avoid the "Mum I am bored " wail of the only child.

Small town called embrun. Near les orres. Known for triathlon on 15 aug every year. We love it.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 25-Aug-13 21:04:11

12yo dd only ever wants to go to centre parcs.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 25-Aug-13 21:09:18

Ah, Embrun is lovely. Near Briancon. Great kayaking in that area if she's into to that. I went several times during and after University.

Morzine is an all year round town with loads going on too.

We stayed at La Reserve with Siblu a couple of years ago which is exactly like Elephants describes.

N.B. our dc are much younger.

mamamidwife Sun 25-Aug-13 21:13:18

Sunsail, beach club in Greece, absolutely fantastic, garunteed not to get bored, very attentive staff, and they have activities/sports for all ages. And you can do nothing if you like or you can do it all. I think mumsnet gets a discount?

Portofino Sun 25-Aug-13 22:58:44

I have tried to look at Sunsail. Frustratingly, it automatically takes me to the French/Dutch site where only flotillas are offered. I can't bloody access the UK site.

hf128219 Sun 25-Aug-13 23:01:59

Can you take a school friend with you?

mamamidwife Mon 26-Aug-13 03:11:13

Oh no that's a shame, maybe try ringing them? They are so worth it smile

triplets Tue 27-Aug-13 00:27:45

Hi there Portosmile This makes a change you asking for holiday ideas, you always give them! Just to say we have been to Biscarosse and loved it, climbed the dune too! Also about 6 years ago went to a camp site at Jard Sur Mer in the Vendee and was very impressed (you know how fussy I am) it was really good accommodation, two mins walk to the most fabulous sandy beach, from the beach a lovely promenade to walk along to restaurants etc, easy walk to the little town which had excellent restaurants/supermarkets and very good market. All in all Jard is super! We are still hoping to book a cruise for next year all being well with dh, didn`t get away this summer sad Nice to chat Porto smile

racingheart Tue 27-Aug-13 00:36:17

Still Eurocamp but Chateau Des Ormes in Brittany is fantastic. There are in and outdoor pools on site withwater chutes, wave machines, lazy river, slides etc. There's a great riding school within walking distance with lovely bilingual teachers, as well as pony rides and treks and a small petting zoo for younger DC on site. Our DC had several riding lessons and were able to canter by the end of the week. There's a zip wire and a high trees course, archery, pedalos, cycle hire, climbing wall all on site. Mont St Michel is nearby, and the town of Dol is just a few minutes away with lovely market and restaurants.

fedup are you very sporty as a family? I'd love to do the via ferrata with my DC but one of them doesn't have much of a head for heights. Are they all quite challenging? Did you take bikes or hire them there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now