Visa for Turkey?

(17 Posts)
CircassianLeyla Fri 23-Aug-13 20:53:13

I wouldn't take the chance to be honest. I have been going to Turkey since I was 3 and there is no end to petty bureaucracy over the most bizarre things.

Had to laugh at online visas becoming compulsory - absolutely right that who knows when that will be.

We got married in Turkey and my husband produced and completed and ticked all the necessary boxes to do in about an hour. I have dual nationality - I kid you not trawling around ALL day to get me sorted. They live a bit if difficulty.

Feenie Fri 23-Aug-13 16:12:16

We got back just over a week ago and paid with a £20 and a £10 aswell.

Have been three times and never come across the no £20 rule.

Budgiegirlbob Fri 23-Aug-13 15:57:39

We just got back from Turkey, and used two £20 notes and one £10 for five of us with no problems. However, having read the above, maybe we were just lucky!

The queue was long, but moved pretty quickly, and there was no queue for passport control, so it wasn't too bad in all. It's also cheaper to pay when you get there than to pay online.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 23-Aug-13 10:25:51

Actually they will take it as I have done it myself a few times before but you could get some really difficult person behind the desk who refuses to take a £20 note for 2 and then you are stuck so best to have £10 notes each just in case.

LalyRawr Thu 22-Aug-13 11:54:11

I was very grateful to MIL's friend for telling us this as the Travel Agent never bloody mentioned it angry

As others have said, it takes minutes, it MUST be a £10 note, if you give a twenty for two people, they will not take it, they will take the twenty for one person, give no change and want another ten for the other person.

There was a lovely argument on the window next to us over this very thing.

We just put the tenner inside our passport, handed it over and was stamped and through security in seconds.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 22-Aug-13 11:48:35

You can do it either way but at the moment it is best to get your visa at the airport as it costs more to get it online and you will still have to wait the same amount of time for your luggage afterwards.

I have travelled to Turkey countless times and I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to get my visa.

As others have mentioned it is £10 per person (children included) and it has to be a decent note, not a tatty one and not a Scottish one

Online visas are apparently going to be compulsary at some point in the future but being Turkey this could be any time!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 20-Aug-13 22:02:53

Yes - the first time we went to Turkey the travel agent was a scot who made a point of telling us it needed to be a crisp ten pound note and that it couldn't be a Scottish one.

For any non-brits who might read this, I think its 15 euro or $20 US but more for a few nationalities - they seem to charge aussies about 3x as much as anyone else.

And they only had dollars. "The greatest currency in the world!" was uttered and everyone cringed. £10 notes will see you right.

Also definitely make sure you're in the right queue - visa THEN passport control. They got understandably a bit cross with the uppity American family in front of us who didn't see why they should obey the big signs!

Crutchlow35 Australia Tue 20-Aug-13 21:54:58

And it has to be an English note.

Mosschops30 Tue 20-Aug-13 21:49:38

Great many thanks smile

specialsubject Tue 20-Aug-13 19:14:48

you can apparently do it online, but if you on a coach transfer you'll be waiting for everyone else to do it in person, so you might as well hand over your tenner too.

£10 note at the airport in Turkey, they direct you to someone who puts a sticker and stamp in your passport IIRC. Takes seconds!

CircassianLeyla Tue 20-Aug-13 18:56:36

There is a Visa desk when you land. Make sure you have £10 note for each traveller, they often get shirty about any other denomination . It must be a tenner. They will stamp the passport then send you off to queue again at passport control.

Have a great time ... It is lovely (but I am biased as I am Turkish).

KFFOREVER Tue 20-Aug-13 18:50:04

Pay when you get there.

You pay when you get there smile

Mosschops30 Tue 20-Aug-13 18:43:27

Bit confused, do you pay £10 in cash when u get there or do it online before travel, online advice is mixed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now