Stupid banjo f***er DH has an expired passport - holiday tomorrow!

(39 Posts)
delegate122 Sat 17-Aug-13 15:38:07

Am separated from husband yet because we booked a holiday to France we agreed to travel to a cottage for a week - we get on okay now we're getting divorced!

Anyway, he's done sweet FA towards the holiday and I was just getting the paperwork together and checking the passports and his expired last year.

His view 'wing it' - i.e. they rarely check, but I thought that the checks had changed, let's just say they pay attention to my passport in any case because I have a somewhat unusual travel history.

Will he be stopped on the way out? Because I'd like to practice my 'I told you so' kata dance so I can provide a good display to the Eurotunnel queue.

Don't want the French police to haul him off on the way back in front of the kids either.

Advice (other than 'Leave the bastard' - which I've clearly already accomplished).

delegate122 Sat 17-Aug-13 15:40:26

Ah balls now I'm posting under my Mumsnet test name. Sorry folks.

mummymeister Sat 17-Aug-13 15:42:24

don't try and travel without a valid passport. it just is not worth the hassle for either of you. leave him at home and go without him or do a quick phone a friend and get a mate with a valid one to go with you. travelling with an invalid passport would invalidate travel insurance and could adversely affect all of you so please just don't do it. is the holiday booked in joint names?

Thesouthernwindisblowing Sat 17-Aug-13 15:42:28

We recently went on holiday via the tunnel and weren't checked on the way out but were on the way back.

I don't think he'll be joining you on holiday. If you can't convince him to stay at home, make sure his stuff is packed separately, can be quickly removed from the car and is easy for him to carry on foot.

Coconutty Sat 17-Aug-13 15:47:01

He'll be stopped at the passport control. Probably.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 17-Aug-13 15:47:17

I've travelled with a friend who had an expired passport. But that was pre-9/11, terrorism act, etc. I wouldn't wing it now. I reckon he would be better to sit it out in Petty France and reschedule his ticket for Monday / Tuesday.

DameFanny Sat 17-Aug-13 15:47:46

Would a Kata have enough celebratory bum-wiggling in it though?

pictish Sat 17-Aug-13 15:49:11

He's got no chance!!
They absolutely check everything after 9/11.

Bad luck to him.

YoniBottsBumgina Sat 17-Aug-13 15:49:58

I would say get a friend to come instead.

However if you are going via tunnel/ferry he might be okay.

MrsCakes has quite a good suggestion grin

Right it's me back under my regular name. That's sort of what I thought - if I take him down to Eurotunnel and they stop him, I'll just leave him behind. What's worrying me more is if we get through and they stop him on the way back.

What makes it worse is I have done a lot of travel and am one of those 'odd people lists' which always delays us - nothing dodgy just lots of one way last minute cash purchase trips.

And yes of course the kata has bum wiggling. It also has a 'my new boyfriend has a valid passport' refrain.

And getting back from Ashford station on a Sunday will be funny too. Guess I could get him out there on a train on Monday if he can sort himself out with a new passport.

It's a cottage holiday, I have paid for it. I don't particularly fancy taking two small children on my own to another country but I'll do it if I have to btw.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 17-Aug-13 15:55:06

We've recently traveled by the Euro Tunnel and our passports weren't checked on the way out of the UK but were checked by UK passport control at the Calais terminal on the way home.

They seemed to be checking everyones passports despite quite long queues of cars.

I'd persuade a friend to go with you instead!

Oh and we have a change of vehicle on the travel docs so I'll have to go through the person gates not to the auto gates to get out. Eeek.

Ledkr Sat 17-Aug-13 15:58:15

This happened to us a couple if weeks ago. Dds passport had expired. We were going to France by ferry.
I thought about risking it but didn't so lost nearly a week of our holiday whilst we got an emergency one.
The checks were very thorough at uk and France ports.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 17-Aug-13 15:58:47

How bad a husband was he? There might be some pleasure in seeing him led away by UK border control wink

Yes but they won't lead him away, they'll just tell him to fuck off and then the kids will be upset he can't come. I'd rather leave him at home, tell him to sort it the hell out and get a train to Calais on Monday/Tuesday (we'll have fun in any case).

Ledkr - thank you that's very helpful to know.

I know during the summer they up their staffing levels so they can continue to check everyone and we aren't going on the 10pm 'can't be arsed to check' crossing either - lunchtime!

mummymeister Sat 17-Aug-13 16:03:10

don't take him then OP. tell him now you aren't going to deal with the inevitable brown stuff that will come your way and that you are taking a.n.other with you to help with the kids. agree that holiday with 2 on your own might not be fun but it is better than spending an anxious week in france worrying about getting back in. this would definitely put you on a list for the future!! border controls have been big news over the summer so border agency on the way in are doing a lot of very careful checking.

mummymeister I'll be having a chat to him when the children are in bed to that effect. We shall see.

SirRaymondClench Sat 17-Aug-13 16:08:58

When are you due to go?
Can't he do one of those mad emergency dash to the passport office for an expensive one-day-jobbie like the rest of us have to?

SirRaymondClench Sat 17-Aug-13 16:09:35

Sorry just seen you're going tomorrow.
LTB.

SilverViking Sat 17-Aug-13 16:11:59

This happened us with one of the childrens passports 3 years ago (his passport was valid for 3 years while the older childrens were valid for 5 years ... And guess who checked all the passports except the youngest ones's!!)
Anyhow, stopped at ferry port on way out. They spotted date, but then brought is into terminal, where they contacted French immigration to see if they would let DC into France. Frenchies said yes, and we were given a printed skip, and put on the next ferry.

Seemed to be something that was done in such cases, but don't know what difference it would make if it was an adult with invalid passport.

toooldtocare Sat 17-Aug-13 16:22:03

I travelled to Dover, with DH and 3 kids to find had left my passport at home... On the way out was asked if I had a driving licence (with photo id bit) had forgotten that too, the French passport control let me through but suggested I would have trouble getting back.....

Coming home I had to go into the English passport control office in France and explained that I had driving licence (sent by DFIL to campsite) and once given a grilling was allowed back in with a letter and they had cancelled my current passport which was sat at home on my dining table.

Good luck with whatever you decide, happy holiday.

Quite fancy a printed skip SilverViking wink

He has his driving licence. dunno, will talk to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now