Anyone been to Lapland?

(11 Posts)
clpsmum Sat 10-Aug-13 21:00:50

Beach holidays are a bit of a disaster for us. We have three children one of whom has special needs and needs to be kept occupied.

Thinking of going to Lapland for a week next winter and wondered if there's lots to do? Anybody been?

Would love to do the Santa thing and wondered if anyone had managed to organise this themselves rather than doing the day trips as a day trip just wouldn't be suitable for us.

Any help, advice and suggestions greatly welcomed.

Many thanks

borninastorm Sat 10-Aug-13 21:31:30

My OH and I went to Finnish Lapland a few years ago for a week in
February and to this day it still remains my favourite holiday of all time.

It truly is a winter wonderland out there, but be prepared to spend quite a it of money on suitable clothing. It was -20 when we were there. But the snow is quite specatucular.

We stayed near the ski resort of Ruka but didn't do any skiing. Instead we booked some trips with independent trip people out there. We did a night time ski doo ride through the forest and over frozen lakes to a log cabin on the Russian border where we had tea and cake before ski doo-ing back. I rode on the back of the ski doo and OH drove it. You could easily do this with an older child on the back.

We also went husky dog sledding, which again you could do with older children. My OH drove the huskies and I sat in the sled covered by reindeer skins.

We went snow shoeing and sat in a teepee in the snow at night listening to Finnish and Russian folklore while drinking hot berry juice heated up over the fire in the centre of the teepee.

On our last day we took a trip to Oulanka National Park followed by a visit to the Arctic Circle.

I'm sure once you're out there these very same independent trip advisers could organise a Santa day or you could even get the bus there yourself after buying tickets from them. The buses are very efficient and run in all weathers in Finnish Lapland.

We'd hope to see the northern lights but alas they didn't come out for us. However, that did not ruin our trip. It was the best holiday I have ever had. OH and I often talk about going back.

jamtoast12 Thu 15-Aug-13 20:53:40

We went last year for four days with thomson and it was by far the best holiday I've ever been on and I've travelled a lot! We went to saariselka. It's was amazing! I'd miss a summer holiday every year to go to lapland but dh loves the sun! I'm determined to go in 2015 though!

Don't do a day trip... 4 days minimum!

jamtoast12 Thu 15-Aug-13 20:54:55

We went with dds aged 5&7 and also did the huskys, reindeers snowmobiles etc! Fab!

sailorsgal Fri 16-Aug-13 20:57:13

I have to agree with everyone else. Just fantastic!

MiniMousse Tue 20-Aug-13 14:32:00

Which hotel did you stay in in Saariselka Jamtoast?
Am on verge of booking with Thomson but bit worried that it might be a bit 'package-tour-herd' ish?
Any other tips?

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 20-Aug-13 14:40:10

We're planning this for Christmas. Sounds fantastic! smile

BiscuitsandBaileys Sat 31-Aug-13 15:35:24

jamtoast I'm so pleased to hear that you had a great time as we're going to Saariselka with Thomson this Christmas.
I'm beyond excited grin

Mumrobbo Sun 01-Sep-13 12:40:49

We are also thinking of going Lapland with SS age 3 nearly 4.
Can anyone tell us who the best tour operator is? From the posts I've seen here and other places Thomsons is best,.
Also where is best to go, we fancy Saariselka as it seems farther north we may have more chance to see Northrn Lights?
Also and the most important question is accommodation? We like the sound of a log cabin but for just 3 of us we would have to pay supplements. So any feedback on accommodation good or bad (doesnt have to be log cabin ) would be great?

mendandmakedo Thu 10-Oct-13 10:49:05

biscuitsandbailey

we are also going to saariselka with thommson in December. So excited also. We did originally plan to do it independently and had compromised on the outbound flight (long wait at Helsinki on the way there). finn air contacted and changed return journey and as it was too much waiting round we cancelled our plans to book a package. Hoping to get a full refund as may only get refund for the flight changed. So could be a nightmare but package deal seems less stress so even more excited.

BiscuitsandBaileys Tue 22-Oct-13 16:02:55

Sorry mendandmakedo, I've only just seen your reply.

Sound's like you've had a nightmare, hope it's all sorted now.

When are you going? Less than 9 weeks for us now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now