how young is too young for Disney Florida?

(24 Posts)
meepsmum Fri 09-Aug-13 19:32:36

Just that really.
Know we will have to save to go and very eager to go as haven't been as a family before but how old do you think children should be to enjoy it?
Expecting a different experience with little ones obviously no rollercoasters but would toddlers enjoy it?

Taz1212 Fri 09-Aug-13 20:55:06

The first time we took the kids, DD was just about to turn 2 and DS was 5. DS had a fantastic time. He was tall enough for all the rides at WDW and loved the characters. DD had a surprisingly good time. She loved the fireworks ("bang bang! More bang bang!") and the shows but she was very frightened of the characters and cried whenever they came near her.

We then went when DD was 5 and DS was 8. I think this was an ideal age for both. DS was still into the characters and DD thought everything was just magical. So, I'd say somewhere between 5-8 is perfect if you want them to have strong memories.

It partly depends on whether you are just doing WDW or whether you are also doing Universal/IoA. Universal/IoA is better for older children- there wasn't much for DD on her first trip.

nulgirl Fri 09-Aug-13 21:01:04

We're just back from Disney Paris and had a fantastic time. Our kids are almost 5 and almost 7 which I think are the perfect ages. Any younger and they can't do many of the rides and you have lots of equipment - prams etc. At these parks you walk miles and so you need your kids to be strong enough to keep going. The queues are also pretty grim for younger kids who get bored and won't wait. They are also still young enough to enjoy the "magic" of Disney and the parades etc.

Saying that I'd be tempted to take them back in a few years when they are old enough to go on all the roller pastes etc.

nulgirl Fri 09-Aug-13 21:01:56

Rollercoasters - not roller pastes smile

WhiteArmedHera Fri 09-Aug-13 21:03:05

IMO between 5 and 10 is perfect

holidaybug Fri 09-Aug-13 21:07:17

We took DS when he was 4 and it was fine. He got more out of the parks when he was 5 but by that age he saw the characters as people dressed up as characters. When he was 4, he thought they were the real deal.

Disney is more for younger kids though - at age 6, DS could go on most of the rides. The bigger scarier rides are at Universal etc.

mummymeister Sat 10-Aug-13 00:42:57

personally I think it is around 5 or 6. still the element of wonder about them but tall enough to go on rides, sit still in the shows and not be frightened by the characters. certainly wouldn't take toddlers - under 2 or 3 and they wont remember it so really only doing it for yourselves which is of course also fine. universal is definitely for older kids and teenagers. wouldn't bother with that unless over 10.

MumnGran Sat 10-Aug-13 01:14:18

I would agree with the consensus here.
We went a lot because my in-laws lived very close by and it was their favourite day out with GCs, but at 3 and under it was always all a bit too much. Too much sun, Too much queuing. Too ....full on. And as someone mentioned, those characters can be a bit scary up close.
Age 5-10 were the optimum years.

DD had a brilliant time on a nostalgic revisit as an adult (with no children!) so I would say 30+ is good, too grin

meepsmum Sun 11-Aug-13 19:52:46

Thanks guys. I guess that means we should wait a bit longer than I would like to! !! More time to save up tho I suppose. Cannot wait to take my ds when he is old enpugh to believe in the characters! !

DalmationDots Tue 13-Aug-13 16:34:34

I think at about 6/7/8 is the peak age as your DC can understand it, will remember it, go on almost all rides, not be too scared of anything and it is all quite magical. Also at that age they have a bit more stamina to keep going all day with all the excitement.

alemci Tue 13-Aug-13 16:37:14

my ds was about 4 when we first went and had to have a couple of strollers as dd was 6 and they got very tired. they all enjoyed it I think.

Mumof3wifeof1 Wed 14-Aug-13 17:07:49

The thing about taking kids when they are young is they don't remember a thing when they get to 8 lol. We spent thousands on a Disney holiday when they we 3 and 5 but they have no recollection whatsoever . so we told them we also took them on a world cruise.

jamtoast12 Thu 15-Aug-13 20:22:08

I'm surprised people say so young? My dds are almost 6&8 and all our friends say wait until 8 &10? We have put it off purely because I've not met anyone who said go young! Interesting! Tbh though we went euro disney and they were bored after 3 days!

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 15-Aug-13 20:32:58

We went to Florida this Easter when DS had just turned 7. I thought it was a perfect age.

There's loads of walking so they need a fair amount of stamina to get around or be young enough to be pushed around in a stroller.

DS just managed to be tall enough to do pretty much all of the rides he wanted to do ( including Harry potter at Universal Yay).

Also Disney is quite overwhelming from a sensory perspective so at 7 he was old enough to go through some reasonably long times there without melt downs, except going through Epcot which he didn't like.

We also did a Disney breakfast and he was young enough to totally throw himself into the experience but not be scared by the characters.

To me it depends if you intend going back. If so then go by all means when he is young and he will get something different going when older. We might go back when DS is a teen, we'll see how we and he feels about it.

indyandlara Sat 17-Aug-13 09:54:13

We went when DD was 2.9. Was a great age. She is very tall so could go in all the rides, loved the characters and was sucked into the magic. There's a lot more to do than just Disney though so it is a great destination for littlies. We had a villa so had a lot of flexibility, space and our own pool. She does talk about some things we did at 'Mickeys's House' still, other things are forgotten. However we remember and memory building isn't just for kids! There's a Legoland too which is great if, like us, you live a 8/9 hour drive from Winsor. We did do Universal as we wanted to see Harry Potter. DD and grandad had a blast at Dr Seuss land!

fussychica Mon 26-Aug-13 18:23:40

I'd say at least 7 to get the best out of it - if they are past the buggy stage make sure they have done a bit of walking before you go otherwise they'll get tired very quickly. Pre 7 they probably won't remember much.
We did the trip for DS 7th birthday - stayed inside the park - it was amazing, so good we went the following year (though couldn't afford to stay inside againsad. We had also been pre DS. We still talk about it 15 years latergrin

ElephantsEye Tue 27-Aug-13 20:30:17

Took DCS aged 12 & 9. It was great at the time but DS (the then-9 yo) claims to remember nothing <sigh>. Top tip - take lots of photos ... grin

Weelady77 Fri 30-Aug-13 11:12:44

First year we went DC were 4&8 both had a ball 4 year old got a bit scared of the characters

2nd year we went DC were 7&10 and 11 weeks, 7 year old had an absolute ball more than the first time and 10 year old could go on all the big rides

3rd time DC were 3,10and 13 and they all had a fab time even though 3 year old just wanted everything in sight lol smile

Mummy252 Sun 08-Sep-13 23:46:27

I think this depends on whether this is a `once in a lifetime` trip or will you be going regularly.
If its a holiday you are having to save for and prob won't be repeating for a few years at least then yes wait until maybe 3/4. BUT in my opinion disney is so kid and baby friendly its the best place for a family of any age. The trick is to know your child's limits and needs (I've just posted for advice on bedtimes for toddlers on holiday as I'm clueless) and just go with the flow as much as possible. We are back in wdw Dec this year and already booked octnext year!in Dec dd will be 2.5 and will be her 3rd trip,she went at 4months old and 13months old, and D's will be on his first trip at 6 months old.
OK at 4/6 months they just like the lights etc but for you its a great holiday in a place where you don't have to worry if baby cries in a restaurant etc, by 13 months dd got so much out of it. Did she understand even half of it, of course not, but she swam every day, saw animals, shows etc and you could see how excited etc she was. A 5 year old will understand a trip to the zoo more but it doesn't mean you don't take your little ones or that they wouldn't benefit from the experience etc.
If you're only going once wait but if you've got the money go!!!!!

Oh I am way off beam here - I came on to say 10!

I just think a little kid is delighted with a week in a caravan. And less able to cope with crowds and queues. Personally I'd save Disney until they were much older. But that's just me!

BackforGood Sun 08-Sep-13 23:59:35

I'm with the 'wait until they are older' vote too.
If you are likely to be able to go a few times over their lifetime, then, no doubt they (and you) will enjoy it when they are little, but if it is a big 'once in a lifetime' holiday, then wait until the youngest is at least 8 or 9, especially if you are going to do all the parks - the younger ones don't have the stamina.

OldRoan Mon 09-Sep-13 00:12:37

I was 7 when my parents took me. I remember loving it, and certain strong memories of key events/funny family moments, but my overriding memory is one of achey legs and being incredibly hot. I may be one of the few children to enjoy Epcot, purely because of the water misters.

We did park in the morning, water park in the afternoon. I couldn't have done rides all day, I'd have been VILE. I'm still not very good in heat though.

Apparently we went to Disneyland Paris when I was 2. I didn't believe my parents until they showed me photos because I have absolutely no recollection of it. We went again when I was 5 and that is still pretty hazy.

cathers Mon 09-Sep-13 13:08:46

I think Florida is so popular because it has things to offer different age groups. Take a teenager and they will love universal but take a 3 year old and they will be in awe of Mickey Mouse!

We took our DC aged 6 and 3 and they were amazed by Disney but too young to get much out of Epcot and studios. So I guess if you are going once it is better to wait till DC are 8 + but if you can go while they are little there is still plenty to do and they will 'believe' it all. Different experiences really, both as special.

Mummy252 Mon 09-Sep-13 23:02:01

I have to say I don't understand the `they won't remember it` thing when it comes to holidays. Of course they won't, they wont remember a trip to the zoo or a caravan either, but that doesn't mean we should stay home all day every day until they turn 7!
I think if you can afford it you go.you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, you will remember those smiling faces forever! Yes caravan parks are great but they aren't Disney world!
As for getting bored after 3 days in paris, paris and Florida are NOT the same! We've done paris, hog Kong Florida and 1 day in la, Florida is totally different to the others, its a completely immersive experience. You do have to do your research and planning and be realistic about what your kids need (naps heat etc) but I swear its the best family holiday you can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now