Mobile phone use in U.S.

(7 Posts)
carlajean Sun 04-Aug-13 08:11:15

Yes, that's what I did, got one from ATT

HmmmIwonder Fri 02-Aug-13 09:15:47

Thanks guys. This might be a stupid question blush but could we take an old handset from here and just buy as payg sim card, do you know?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anthracite Fri 02-Aug-13 05:54:22

You can get cheap mobiles there. A big brand is Tracfone. You can pick up a handset in pharmacies for $15.

NotMoreFootball Thu 01-Aug-13 19:52:45

I live in the US and bought a PAYG handset the day we moved here to use until I got an iPhone contract up and running,the handset cost $15 and I put $20 credit on for calls and texts which lasted about a month. This was from Best Buy Mobile which has branches everywhere, I did have to give an address when they activated my phone so not sure if you could use the hotels address?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HmmmIwonder Thu 01-Aug-13 14:11:45

We'd like to use our phones in the U.S. while we're there for a few weeks, to make calls within the US for maybe booking restaurants, theatres, ringing up for information , but vodafone UK have no 'roaming' facility outside Europe. so texts and calls will be prohibitively expensive. Would it be an idea to buy a cheap PAYG phone there, has anyone done that, or are there complications we hadn't thought of in doing that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now