Egypt - safe to travel for family holiday?

(15 Posts)
Bunbaker Wed 14-Aug-13 20:19:04

After the events of today I wouldn't advise it.

travelegyptholidays Tue 13-Aug-13 10:33:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Supertrooper88 Mon 05-Aug-13 12:29:50

Erm not wise atm considering there is a current terror alert throughout North Africa. Egypt may not be fullly affected atm but the whole area is at risk of unrest.

Anywhere where there is a possibility the Bristish Consulate may close isnt somewhere I would like to be.

Alot can happen bewtween now and the end of August but I fear there is more risk of decline in the current situation than improvement.

Bulgaria is supposed to be very cheap - especially if you are considering Self Catering - as our money goes a long way there at the moment.

LilRedWG Mon 05-Aug-13 12:29:45

I've never been to Sharm but have been to other resorts, the most recent being Marsa Alam in January.

tbh I wouldn't go to Egypt at the moment due to unrest being so pronounced, especially not with children. Plys it's bloody hot in August and the children would be miserable.

QOD Mon 05-Aug-13 12:23:07

Yeah right directnilecruise .... Reported by the way, cruises are cancelled by uk travel agents at the mo due to unrest.

directnilecruiseegyptt Mon 05-Aug-13 12:14:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 04-Aug-13 17:33:00

My dog walker has just come back from Sharm and apparently there was not a hint of trouble, he really enjoyed it.

chipsandpeas Sun 04-Aug-13 17:22:39

friends of mine just came back from sharm last night and had a brillaint time

MOSagain Sun 04-Aug-13 17:20:41

I agree with others, I'd avoid at the moment. I lived in the ME for many years so am used to unrest and conflict but would not go to Egypt at the moment. Hope you find a suitable holiday

sleepyhorse Thu 01-Aug-13 12:27:40

Ok thanks, i will cross off my list then. What about Croatia. Is it cheaper than Greece?

LAlady Wed 31-Jul-13 23:32:12

There's a reason why there's so many cheap deals there at the moment.

Sidge Wed 31-Jul-13 22:51:01

I've been to Sharm and it's a hole.

Also at the end of August it's likely to be 45+ degrees - that's no fun with small kids.

I would avoid it for a number of reasons, the troubles there are just one of them.

I went in May and hated it, would avoid due to food hygiene, horrific airport and safety issues.

QOD Wed 31-Jul-13 22:32:48

I wouldn't at the mo

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt
Sharm might be green but its small and has been the target of attacks before
I went there in December and its amazing but so empty of tourists

sleepyhorse Wed 31-Jul-13 22:21:59

Hi

Thinking if booking last min family holiday with 2 small kids end of Aug to Egypt as there seems to be some really good deals plus it's hot!! I know there has been some trouble in the big cities but would you say it's safe to travel to the holiday resorts? Would anyone recommend as a good place to go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now