Egypt - safe to travel for family holiday?

(15 Posts)
sleepyhorse Wed 31-Jul-13 22:21:59

Hi

Thinking if booking last min family holiday with 2 small kids end of Aug to Egypt as there seems to be some really good deals plus it's hot!! I know there has been some trouble in the big cities but would you say it's safe to travel to the holiday resorts? Would anyone recommend as a good place to go?

QOD Wed 31-Jul-13 22:32:48

I wouldn't at the mo

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt
Sharm might be green but its small and has been the target of attacks before
I went there in December and its amazing but so empty of tourists

I went in May and hated it, would avoid due to food hygiene, horrific airport and safety issues.

Sidge Wed 31-Jul-13 22:51:01

I've been to Sharm and it's a hole.

Also at the end of August it's likely to be 45+ degrees - that's no fun with small kids.

I would avoid it for a number of reasons, the troubles there are just one of them.

LAlady Wed 31-Jul-13 23:32:12

There's a reason why there's so many cheap deals there at the moment.

sleepyhorse Thu 01-Aug-13 12:27:40

Ok thanks, i will cross off my list then. What about Croatia. Is it cheaper than Greece?

MOSagain Sun 04-Aug-13 17:20:41

I agree with others, I'd avoid at the moment. I lived in the ME for many years so am used to unrest and conflict but would not go to Egypt at the moment. Hope you find a suitable holiday

chipsandpeas Sun 04-Aug-13 17:22:39

friends of mine just came back from sharm last night and had a brillaint time

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 04-Aug-13 17:33:00

My dog walker has just come back from Sharm and apparently there was not a hint of trouble, he really enjoyed it.

directnilecruiseegyptt Mon 05-Aug-13 12:14:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

QOD Mon 05-Aug-13 12:23:07

Yeah right directnilecruise .... Reported by the way, cruises are cancelled by uk travel agents at the mo due to unrest.

LilRedWG Mon 05-Aug-13 12:29:45

I've never been to Sharm but have been to other resorts, the most recent being Marsa Alam in January.

tbh I wouldn't go to Egypt at the moment due to unrest being so pronounced, especially not with children. Plys it's bloody hot in August and the children would be miserable.

Supertrooper88 Mon 05-Aug-13 12:29:50

Erm not wise atm considering there is a current terror alert throughout North Africa. Egypt may not be fullly affected atm but the whole area is at risk of unrest.

Anywhere where there is a possibility the Bristish Consulate may close isnt somewhere I would like to be.

Alot can happen bewtween now and the end of August but I fear there is more risk of decline in the current situation than improvement.

Bulgaria is supposed to be very cheap - especially if you are considering Self Catering - as our money goes a long way there at the moment.

travelegyptholidays Tue 13-Aug-13 10:33:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Bunbaker Wed 14-Aug-13 20:19:04

After the events of today I wouldn't advise it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now