Suffolk/Southwold area with pre-teens

(15 Posts)
MothershipG Wed 31-Jul-13 17:52:09

We're off to the Southwold area next week, we've been annually for the last 5 years and we love it. The only trouble is, as the kids get older, digging holes on the beach doesn't hold quite the attraction it once did!

Any suggestions for other activities (and don't say maize maze!)

Ruthiebabes Wed 31-Jul-13 23:39:31

We had a lovely day at Africa Alive this week... crabbing at Walberswick was another hit!!

I am roaring at maise maize, it's traditional that we visit each year. It's more rubbish than usual this year, the maise hasn't grown , it's about ten inches tall. We chortled as we saw grown adults walking around it pretending to be lost when it didn't even touch their knees.

We have just come back, did the boating at Thorpeness, speed boat trip from Southwold and just ate out a lot.

MothershipG Thu 01-Aug-13 06:40:46

Thanks Ruthie I did wonder about Africa Alive.

No maize! Oh no, what a tragedy (not). Thanks for the heads up Tough.

googietheegg Thu 01-Aug-13 06:52:34

Lowestoft beach has arcades. There's Pleasurewood Hills theme park on the A12 too. Tacky both, but teens will love them.

vjhist85 Thu 01-Aug-13 07:41:11

Nice cheap things:
Crabbing at walberswick
Cycle to dunwich for fish and chips
Picnic on dunwich Heath with a football/frisbee
Pedalos on the pond down by the pier
Kites on the common
For pricier options:
Hire a boat on oulton broad
A day at thorpeness mere
Africa alive and pleasure wood hills,
Great Yarmouth arcades/rides etc.

All of the above activities can be extended with the addition of a picnic, an ice cream and a run around with a ball/kite/etc.

I'm jealous, it's been a whole 6 weeks since we were there. Enjoy!

MothershipG Thu 01-Aug-13 07:53:48

OK, off to google Pleasurewood Hill but I'm not doing arcades, I just can't, I think if I let DS in one I'd never get him out!!!

Kite's are a good idea, we tend to go to the Gun Hill end of Southwold beach because we have dogs so I forget about the Pedalos at the pier end.

Maybe we should do one of those boat rides, I've gone back to work so the budget isn't quite so tight this year!

Ruthiebabes Thu 01-Aug-13 09:28:15

You can use tescos vouchers to get into Africa Alive.. its about £60 for 2ad and 2 ch.

Framlingham Castle
Geocaching
Orford Castle (and crabbing on the quay) - recommend the Jolly Sailor for lunch.
The Regardless (Orford again) does a great lobster fishing trip which kept our gang of pre-teens entertained.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

googietheegg Tue 06-Aug-13 18:13:22

It's in kessingland, just before lowestoft. Do not go to lowestoft.

Fairylea Tue 06-Aug-13 18:19:02

Oasis camel sanctuary near halesworth is really nice for ages 3-10. Lots of animals to feed (goats, fancy looking chickens, pets to hold, horses etc) and a nice adventure play area if your kids like that sort of thing. Reasonably cheap compared to other days out.

Might be a bit young for your dc but just thought I'd mention it.

outtolunchagain Tue 06-Aug-13 18:25:14

Framlingham Castle
Woodbridge is worth a visit and would definitely recommend Sutton Hoo
Fish and chips in Aldeburgh
Cinema in Aldeburgh (v small and cute)
We are off to Pleasurewood Hills tomorrow ,we live here though and its a big group from school,my idea of a nightmare but expect the dc will enjoy it!
Bressingham Steam is good and has a Dads Army museum

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Danceasifnooneswatching Mon 12-Aug-13 09:46:21

Oulton broad is very nice lovely play area and nice places to eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now