City break ideas

(14 Posts)
scarlettsmummy2 Wed 31-Jul-13 22:25:00

I have been to Rome, Nice and Barcelona. All are great. Rome best for sight seeing- the vatican city really is amazing.

Nice good for a more relaxing break as a stroll along the promenade d'anglais is lovely in the evening. Recommend the Negresco hotel. Alternatively Cannes is close by and also a great city.

Barcelona also good for a wander and people watching, and has some lovely shops.

EasterHoliday Wed 31-Jul-13 22:16:50

reasonable and quiet but superb location near Navona and Pantheon is hotel dei Portoghesi. Noisy and reasonable and opposite the Pantheon is Albergo Abruzzi - the finest view in the world,but danger of hearing backbackers sitting on the Pantheon columns singing REM songs... the yin, the yang.

Prizepudding Wed 31-Jul-13 20:41:56

Thanks everyone, have just booked flights to rome, any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels in a good location? Cheers

Fluffy1234 Wed 31-Jul-13 17:39:44

I've only been to Barcelona and Rome but loved Rome the best.

Allalonenow Wed 31-Jul-13 14:44:42

I'd choose Rome, it's packed with a wide range of hotels and fab restaurants, and masses to see and do. Wear flat shoes as the pavements are dreadful, but that is the only downside to a magical city.

Ruthiebabes Wed 31-Jul-13 14:37:51

We went to Nice last yr for 10th wedding anniversary... its lovely. This also gives you the option of seeing other places on the Cote d'azur.. eg Cannes,Monaco,Villefranche. The bus system is great. We stayed at the Hotel Suisse which is right on the seafront and it was fab.

Enjoy where ever you choose.

revealall Wed 31-Jul-13 13:28:17

Done them all in the last two years. I'd vote for Barcelona or Rome.

Barcelona has lots of interesting things to visit whereas Rome has gob smacking amazing sights everywhere as you wander round.

Barcelona has heavy traffic - Rome doesn't so much

Barcelona has hotels with pools whereas Rome doesn't. If you picture having a glass of cava in a rooftop pool overlooking the city do Barcelona. If you want a picturesque secret little restaurant go to Rome.

Nice is OK but doesn't have the "wow" IMO. Milan is like any other city but with a fab cathedral (although The Last Supper is amazing in real life).

Prizepudding Tue 30-Jul-13 22:13:08

Thanks for your comments, we will be going in October.

I've been to them all over the years, and I'd choose Rome.

Yonihadtoask Tue 30-Jul-13 22:10:34

What time of year will it be?

Yonihadtoask Tue 30-Jul-13 22:10:00

Barcelona is fun.

Can you get to Madrid?? It's my favourite city.

Not been to the others you mention (yet) so can't comment.

EasterHoliday Tue 30-Jul-13 22:07:04

If you've never been to Rome, it must be Rome! definitely preferable to Milan

jkklpu Tue 30-Jul-13 22:04:24

Barcelona is fantastic but pricey, as is Nice (very pricey). Haven't been to Rome for years but also likely to be on the expensive side. Is Lisbon an option? It's much less well-known, great value and a really quirky town. There are also beaches close by, so it's pretty good for a few days.

Prizepudding Tue 30-Jul-13 21:44:50

Husband and I are looking to go away for our wedding anniversary and we can't decide on where to go. Our flight options are Barcelona, Milan, Rome or Nice, has anyone been to any or all, any favourites? They all sound great and I'm too indecisive. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now