Fun things to put in children's rucksacks for a flight

(11 Posts)
jmbabyequipmenthire1 Mon 05-Aug-13 17:40:10

We are flying next week with two boys aged 7 and 9. They usually take their ipods, a small quizzes book, pens, top trump cards and travel monopoly/scrabble. Hope you have a nice time.

noramum Tue 30-Jul-13 16:20:54

I don't do sticker books, not enough space in a plane. DD likes to spread out doing them. I have cheap pens so if they are lost that's not a problem.

I normally buy a magazine at the airport and she has books, headphones and ipad for 1-2 30 minute episodes of a TV series. But I also believe she can be bored once in a while.

we gave up on colouring pencils/pens as they always managed to drop them between and under the seats and then we had to do a contortionist act to get them back again. I wouldnt wrap anything as it just makes a mess and gives you extra crap to carry aftyerwards. Our last flights didnt have a film showing so they mainly used their tablet/DS instead

VenusSurprising Tue 30-Jul-13 13:52:12

Cocaine?
Can be quite a lot of fun at customs, I hear.

oohaveabanana Tue 30-Jul-13 13:47:30

Wrap everything up - cheap, brown paper is fine -slows them down & makes everything more exciting. Ration the presents (so 1 when the get on plane, 1 after seat belt lights go out etc)
New book, old favourite book, sticker/colouring book, cheap stuff from Hawkins bazaar/tickseed; snacks & drinks ... You'll be fine. Check if the flight has a film/radio, & whether snacks are served too.

It (phone/tablet/ds) is your friend - esp for the 7yo.

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 30-Jul-13 13:45:53

Recently took two boys on a 7 hour flight, they only Used the iPad and iPod and that's it. They didn't even look at the toys and drawing paces or books we'd packed. wink

NotAnotherPackedLunch Tue 30-Jul-13 13:42:50

Benderoos. They keep their fingers busy and aren't too messy.

Seeline Tue 30-Jul-13 13:42:44

stickers
colouring/activity book
book (either for them to read or have read to them)
nintendo DS
definitely some snacks
If they are sitting near each other, card games are good - Top Trumps, Uno etc

mine had a nintendo, a tablet and a book plus various snacks

grabaspoon Tue 30-Jul-13 13:38:23

My dc 5.6 recently went on a 10 hour flight. I wrapped 3 small gifts - toy aeroplane a reusable sticker book and a craft activity. his mum also packed some books activity book and a few favourite toys she also bought proper headphones so he could listen to the film properly

Feathered Tue 30-Jul-13 13:36:08

I am taking three children (5 year old twins and a seven year old) on a shortish flight in a couple of weeks (on my own . . . eek). I was planning on putting a few things in each child's rucksack to keep them occupied. Any thoughts??? Anything that's worked for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now