Christmas market Ghent - costs?

(4 Posts)

Shop at the supermarkets for food. Delhaize is everywhere.

We went to the market there a few years ago. It was cheaper than Brugge and easier to get around.

We had DS with us so we stayed on the youth hostel, which was very central, good value and clean and quiet. However, I know that wouldn't suit everyone!

Portofino Tue 30-Jul-13 19:50:12

Ghent is a lot less touristy than Bruges so should be cheaper. It depends what you are expecting. I work in Brussels. A baguette sandwich will cost you about 3 euros depending what it has in it, and a bottle of water at least 1.50 - 2 euros in a café. Food is quite expensive in Belgium as a rule.

ethelb Mon 29-Jul-13 12:40:14

We will be in Brussles in the last weekend of November for a family event, and were considering a few days in Ghent following it. It will be when the Chrismtas market starts which isn't our main reason for the visit but we will want to visit that.

We went to Brugges a couple of years ago and loved it, but a still trying to recover from the cost of a croque madame (eaten in a small cafe down a back street!) and wondered if anyone knew if the prices in Ghent were comparable?

Hotels aren't cheap there, but has anyone found anywhere reasonable which does breakfast near the centre?

But what I really wanted to know about was cost of food. It seemed in Brugges there was literally nowhere 'off the beaten track' and no where to just pop into a shop to buy a bottle of water/sandwich.

Is it the same in Ghent, or has anyone found a reasonable way of feeding themselves for a day or two that didn't require handing over the deeds to your house?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now