iPhone Use in the US?

(7 Posts)
Anthracite Wed 31-Jul-13 10:08:21

Your phone will be locked to Vodafone, so you can't just put in a new SIM card. You can have it unlocked if you are more than half-way through your contract though.

Anthracite Wed 31-Jul-13 10:06:16

I did loads of research on this when we went to the USA.

I wanted just data, and the easiest thing I found was to just use free Wifi in restaurants and shopping malls.

It was easy to connect to Wifi. You didn't have to register as you often have to do here.

MeantToStopAtTwo Sun 28-Jul-13 18:38:58

Thanks Tobagostreet, that's really good to know. I'm with vodafone. Will see what they have.

Tobagostreet Sun 28-Jul-13 18:05:49

Best option is to turn off all data when you land, and use free WiFi in cafes/hotels/theme parks/etc.

Make calls using a free app like O2 TuGo which allows you to use your inclusive contract minutes for calls over WiFi. Think lots of networks now have a similar app.

MeantToStopAtTwo Sun 28-Jul-13 17:53:23

Mostly just for internet access.

Someone told me something about a SIM card you get for around $50 which gave unlimited usage for a month. That would be perfect for me. I just hope I can find somewhere to get hold of one.

I also have an iPad which I hope just to use on wireless networks over there.

It's quite hard to manage. They don't do PAYG very much there, and you often need a local credit card etc.

Do you mean mostly calls, texts, or data?

MeantToStopAtTwo Sun 28-Jul-13 16:36:49

Heading over there later this week for a two week trip. Would ideally like to be able to have unlimited use of iPhone. Would are my best options for doing this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now