A year out from real life... totally crazy?! Or a big adventure?!

(12 Posts)
daftbesom Sat 17-Aug-13 08:00:38

I know our local primary schools won't/can't hold a place open if people go away for more than couple of months. Parents just have to take their chances when they come back that there will still be a place left. If not, the child has to go to another school. But (personally) I would not let that put me off a trip like the one you are thinking of! Kids are very adaptable.

Littlefish Mon 05-Aug-13 13:59:11

How did you get on with the children's school? If it is a state school then I'm afraid they are not going to be able to hold the place for a year. I think 6 weeks is the longest time they can do it for, and that is only in extraordinary circumstances.

mrspink27 Mon 05-Aug-13 13:56:39

We did exactly this 2 years ago... it was ace! PM me and I will direct you to our blog... STA travel are excellent....

Crutchlow35 Australia Mon 05-Aug-13 13:53:22

I think what you have to remember is if you buy a RTW ticket you have to keep going in the same direction so, if for example, you start with New York you have to keep heading west until you get back to the UK. If you go east then you can do the likes of India and Asia first, then Australia and look to come back through New Zealand, USA etc.,

PrivateBenjamin Sun 04-Aug-13 23:53:14

Wages in Oz are ridiculously high, but if you're on a visa where you can't work then living and travelling there will absolutely rinse your money. I paid $4 for a loaf of cheap bread and $200 a week for a room in a backpacker shared house. I don't think it's possible to live there without earning AUD unless you're a Euromillions winner.

Asia, esp. Thailand, vietnam and Malaysia seem very child friendly and are relatively cheap if you have GBP. India is a little bit crazy. I wouldn't take a child there but lots of people have. Your children will have to be stuck to you though to not get lost. The south (Kerala etc) was much more relaxed.

It will be an AMAZING experience though! Good luck, get good insurance and have a wonderful time!

HelloMama Thu 25-Jul-13 08:50:53

Thank you so much everyone for your encouraging replies. And thank you for the info. re working visas etc. I probably can get work in Oz (medical) and do have family there too, but didn't appreciate re. sorting schooling on temporary visa.... I think the best plan is to purely travel the world and as part of this scope oz out and then decide whether to make a permanent move there. Canada is also an option because I believe they are keen to recruit at the moment etc if you can pass the Canadian entry exams etc.

I'm going to contact kids school later to see what they think about the idea....

tilbatilba Thu 25-Jul-13 05:21:00

Absolutely do it ! There are a few old threads on this - family gap year etc you might find interesting.

Mummysaysno Thu 25-Jul-13 05:18:00

Do it! If you post on 'Living Overseas' you'll get replies from people living where you are considering traveling.

Life is for living!grin

Selks Thu 25-Jul-13 00:08:07

Oh, go for it! You only live once, and it will be an amazing adventure for your DC.
There are various good blogs out there by families who have sold up and travelled, might give some good ideas.
I've heard that Cambodia and Laos are very welcoming for children as well as being beautiful and laid back. A good idea is to look into home stays, as you often get to know lovely local families that way.
Let us know what you decide!

kelly14 Wed 24-Jul-13 23:42:23

Yes definitely. My dd is 8 and has spent more of her life abroad.
Spent most of her early years in Dubai before emigrating to oz in 2009. She knows so many wonderful facts and has so many amazing memories she talks about all the time still.

As other poster said, you are going to need appropriate funds and you wont be able to get into oz for 6months plus without appropriate visa, schooling will cost alot if you are on a temp visa (you wont be able to go on a working holiday visa with children so would need to investigate what you are able to get)

Any other visa will cost you a fair amount (cost us over 5 grand for a PR visa in 09)

My dd is now entitled to citizenship and we just renewed out PR visas with a months visit in march/april this year, as plan to move back asap... That month in oz cost approx £20 grand! not including flights!! ( 3 adults and 1 child)

I personally wouldn't go to oz unless on a PR visa, and with a good job to go to and it being a permanent move as just to expensive otherwise, I would suggest Europe if move not intended as permanent.

specialsubject Wed 24-Jul-13 17:12:26

why not? A year or more seems ages but you'd be surprised how quickly it vanishes. TBH, just Australia and NZ would easily fill the time. BUT you do need to be able to aford them.

but my first question is: Are you able to work in Oz or New Zealand? Even if you are young enough for working holiday visas, you won't get them with dependents.

HelloMama Wed 24-Jul-13 14:56:57

We have decided to take a year (or maybe more...) out from 'real life' to go and seek some adventure.

We have 2 children aged 7 and 10 and are planning to go on an around the world trip, staying in a few countries along the way, before settling in Australia or New Zealand possibly to work for 6 months or so. This is something my husband has always wanted to do, but various things have always held me back before. But suddenly those things keeping me here have changed, and this has really altered my perspective on lots of things. Finally, much to my husbands delight, I feel this is something we really need to do and I absolutely cannot wait! But where to start???

Important things are that we plan to rent our house to a family member and use some of the capital in our house, sell our car, etc. to pay for it.

We are going to speak to the school about the possibility of holding our children's school place for a year, and hopefully integrating some of our trip with the school - skype chats, sending parcels, letters etc to their classes from places we've been to, etc. I'm not sure if this will be possible but we're going to see what they say. We would home school along the way, and if we settle in Oz, obviously look for local schooling when we get there (various friends and family in Oz to help with this process).

I'd like to experience India and Asia; but also some of the Americas, before getting to Oz - is this just too spread out and unrealistic?!

I wonder if there is anyone out there who has done this who can give some good advice of child-friendly places to visit, places to avoid (!) or any other info? Have done lots of internet searching, but its always good to hear from real-life perspectives. I think we are being a bit mad, but I have never been outside of my comfort zone before and totally have a feeling this is the right thing to do....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now