Heavy duty mozzie repellant - best buy?

(11 Posts)
minxthemanx Tue 23-Jul-13 19:53:30

Going back to fab campsite in Italy, loved it, loved it, loved it last year. best holiday ever. Apart from the vicious and relentless mosquitoes (well it's in pine woods, by the beach....) Got bitten to pieces despite spraying body with Autan of an evening, and campsite spraying God knows what in the air. Anyone found a REALLY effective mozzie spray/repellant that will wipe out the little bastards insects?

Ponders Tue 23-Jul-13 20:02:55

Jungle Formula, 50% DEET, is supposed to be good

(well anything with 50% DEET is supposed to be good but JF is the only one I've come across. it's not cheap but they have it in bodycare)

would also recommend zipping up tent then giving it a massive blast of flyspray in all corners 30 mins or so before bedtime every night

Ponders Tue 23-Jul-13 20:07:37

this stuff. it comes in different formulations (spray, roll-on, lotion etc)

Ponders Tue 23-Jul-13 20:16:03

amazon have it cheaper (& quick free delivery with Prime)

good reviews too

Another vote for jungle formula or off.

Incidentally, when we camped in Venice we bought a mosquito zapper thing from the site shop without much hope of it working.
It was bloody brilliant. Small and worked on batteries. Kept the tent mozzie free all night.

minxthemanx Wed 24-Jul-13 07:10:31

Thank ladies, the reviews for jungle formula have convinced me. Many thanks for the tip. (coughs apologetically), slightly misleading when I said campsite - we're in v v small mobile home. With air con. Not quite hardcore enough for tent in 35 degrees. blush

LtEveDallas Wed 24-Jul-13 07:15:54

You can get 100% DEET on Amazon, I've just got it for our sunmer hols. DH and I will use it, DD will have it sprayed on her clothes (I don't know if there are any health concerns using it - but just being sure)

Deet stinks, can sting if you've shaved legs and just isn't that effective on me. Try Avon Skin So Soft Original dry oil spray - miraculous stuff.

specialsubject Wed 24-Jul-13 09:51:10

Deet is the only thing that really works, BUT it dissolves plastic. Keep it off watches and spectacle frames.

Fluffy1234 Wed 24-Jul-13 11:33:27

Anything with deet is good, spray lots on ankles and wrists. We also got an app on the iPhone ( I know it sounds nuts) but seemed to work when we stayed in a rainforest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now