over-the-counter sleeping 'drugs' for 8yr old???

(18 Posts)
LEMisdisappointed Sun 28-Jul-13 20:47:46

Best of luck - you have done everything you can, informed the airline, they will be able to help you if she kicks off. Must be really difficult for you sad

1805 Sun 28-Jul-13 20:42:44

Thanks everyone.
We go tomorrow afternoon and the flight is 11 1/2 hrs.
I have spoken to CAHMS, but am armed with nothing more than a doctors note. shock

We have prepared, discussed, planned (ish) watched you tube, talked, loaded gadgets up, charged gadgets, will buy snacks and puzzles at airport. We have even checked the in-flight menus.

However, nothing will help if dd decides something is 'wrong'. It's the violence that worries us most if she lets rip. The airline know the situation, and apparently the plane is full.

Wish us luck, and I apologise if anyone here is on the same flight as us tomorrow grin

Fairyloo Sun 28-Jul-13 18:44:12

The Bach remedies have alcohol in and are not suitable for children. There are alcohol free ones though.

I feel your pain but I don't think the answer is to dope them up.

what times your flight?

nooka Sun 28-Jul-13 18:41:07

We used to use Bach rescue remedies with dd (anxiety issues) and it was a helpful addition to our first aid kit but I think the effect was purely psychological (rather like a kiss to make it better). If your dd believes that a drop or two will help her calm down then it may be very helpful, otherwise I don't think it will do anything at all.

We've used melatonin, which can make you feel drowsy and ready for sleep (but it's only available on prescription in the UK) and dd currently is taking a magnesium supplement, which also causes drowsiness and helps with sleep (dd has it for migraine prevention). Both only help encourage sleep though, so are only helpful in situations when you would be sleeping anyway.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 28-Jul-13 18:33:48

I have taken sleeping pills, it is a horrible feeling actually and i would not dream of giving one to my 8yo DD. They were a godsend for me in breaking a pattern of insomnia but i am with your Dr on this one.

I think you are wasting your time with Bach's too - i used to take it and it helped slightly but it is useful for taking the edge off anxiety, i suspect its the brandy too!

Talk to CAHMs, but you know what, your DD is the most important and you are wanting to make the flight as pleasant for HER as you possibly can. If i were on a flight and your DD was kicking off, yes it would get on my nerves but i would be sympathetic and understanding.

Maybe try some massage techniques? Does she have electronic games she can play etc? could you read to her for a bit? Sorry, don't know her issues with explosiveness, i can't imagine my DD who is quite a placid 8yo doing well on an 11hour flight either so you have my sympathy. I think distraction is the key here.

hermioneweasley Sun 28-Jul-13 18:22:37

Bach flower remedies are pretty much homeopathy in the sense that the 'active ingredient' is so dilute as to be impossible to have any effect.

Clinical trials show no benefit above placebo.

I suspect any beneficial feelings are due to the brandy in the solution.

justaweeone Sun 28-Jul-13 18:17:42

Sorry about typos

justaweeone Sun 28-Jul-13 18:17:07

The also do pastilles so would be like eating sweets
Also I would try to instil as much clam as possible .My Dd when she was younger used to be sick after every party etc as she go so excited.However make sure you other half understands as once a Heathrow he was going on about how we were going on a plane,etc and basically getting mega excited himself that she threw up in the check in area!

2kidsintow Sun 28-Jul-13 14:11:42

You should be able to find it at one of your local chemists.

1805 Sun 28-Jul-13 14:05:06

sounds perfect. will i be able to buy at airport somewhere?

justaweeone Sun 28-Jul-13 09:22:26

What is RESCUE Remedy®

"For millions of people worldwide RESCUE Remedy® has become an emotional ally."

Carly Harding, Registered Bach Practitioner

Original RESCUE Remedy in the distinctive yellow bottle is a combination of natural flower essences preserved in a grape alcohol solution. It was first made by Dr Edward Bach in England in the 1930s and is still made in accordance with the traditional methods he developed over 70 years ago. You can find out more about Dr Bach and how he discovered RESCUE Remedy in HISTORY – Our story.

RESCUE Remedy has been trusted by generations to help gently restore inner calm, control and focus. It can be used for a wide range of everyday stressful situations, big or small as it can be taken by anyone, anywhere. Rescue Remedy is available as a dropper or a spray, in a handy pocket size to ensure its to hand whenever you need it.
RESCUE Remedy is made up of a five individual flower essences that help you cope in balancing life's ups and downs.

Rock Rose is used for terror and panic
Impatiens addresses irritation and impatience
Clematis is for inattentiveness and a lack of focus
Star of Bethlehem is for shock
Cherry Plum helps with irrational thoughts and a lack of self control

RESCUE Remedy is the most well known element of the Bach™ Original Flower Remedies which is a system of 38 individual flower remedies developed by Dr Bach to help us rediscover the positive side of ourselves.

You can find out more about the Bach™ Original Flower Remedies at our Bach™ Original Flower Remedies brand site.

"Every single person has a life to live, a work to do, a glorious personality, a wonderful individuality." Dr. Edward Bach - The Original Writings

1805 Sat 27-Jul-13 20:58:50

Thanks. She is 8.
Never tried the Bach rescue, although heard about it. Can you tell me more about it?

justaweeone Sat 27-Jul-13 10:29:32

What about giving her some Bach rescue remedy or they other alternative remedies to keep her calm ie lavender oil,etc
Not sure if you can give it to children
What age is your Dd?

1805 Tue 23-Jul-13 21:19:41

ok - so have tried her with phenelgan (sp?) tonight as a trial run, but it appears to have had little affect other than a headache.

Airline ok with her being sedating - obviously have spoken to them about dd and they're being really helpful so far.

Hoping we can get to see CAHMS this week.

mummymeister Tue 23-Jul-13 10:11:43

nothing over the counter will knock her out. some of the ones designed to make you drowsy like antihistamine can have the opposite effect and make you hyper. the airline wouldn't be too happy to have her completely knocked out in case of emergencies. go back to your GP and see if you can get something that will calm her that you promise to only use if you absolutely have to. the best you can do is to be prepared with plenty to do and plenty to eat. also talk about it with her as much as you can beforehand to try and prepare her.

1805 Mon 22-Jul-13 21:28:10

Thanks. That's what I thought as well, hence trying from the GP.

nextphase Mon 22-Jul-13 19:51:44

I'm not an expert, but afaik over the counter sleeping tablets will only make you dozy, not knock you out.

Sorry. Hope the flight isn't as bad as your fearing.

1805 Mon 22-Jul-13 19:30:27

Basically that. Dd is rather explosive - waiting for CAHMS referral atm - and worried in case she lets rip on the plane (11 1/2 hrs, booked ages ago). Dr won't give us any. I'm worried that being drowsy will make matters worse, I was hoping to have her completely konked out.

What is the big deal with giving a kid a sleeping pill?? Am I missing something here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now