39c - should I be worried?

(20 Posts)
mummytime Sat 20-Jul-13 22:49:43

Well I'm not sure which site you are using, one is predicting about 89F which is 31 C and another is predicting 25C. So I wouldn't panic too much.

Petruska Sat 20-Jul-13 18:19:05

mummy - look ahead to 29th July though - it shoots up. Thats when we go.

mummytime Sat 20-Jul-13 12:47:22

BTW temperatures of 29 look like what I'm seeing when I did a quick search, which should feel cool after the SE of England recently.

mummytime Sat 20-Jul-13 12:45:25

San Diego is great and you should go to either the Zoo or the Wildlife park. Its can be even drier down there, and actually so dry that it irritated my synases (sp?).
On a quick look Disneyland is open until 12 am, with fireworks at 10. So I would be inclined to go later rather than earlier. The Californian adventure shuts at 10pm. If your kids are more rollercoaster fans than Disney fans, they might want to go to Knotts Berry, which is open until 10 or 11pm.

Do take water bottles. I'm not sure what tap water is like in California, its disgusting in Florida, so I would be tempted to buy some expensive Britta water bottles with a built in filter. There will be lots of places to refill your water bottles. At Disney World you can get free iced water if you ask for it (its worth a try at Disneyland).
Do walk slowly, use lots of sun protection, drink lots and look out for air-con.

Petruska Sat 20-Jul-13 11:37:46

Thanks people.

Special - not doing Florida at all. LA and San Diego. When I checked the average temps for LA it tells you 29c, so 39c came as a bit of a shock!

Mummy - not staying too close to Disney, 90mins away.

Kreecher - yes I think you're right. It's a one-off holiday and will be fab whatever the wether. We are v v v excited!!

just the 11 1/2 hr flight to get through grin

mummytime Sat 20-Jul-13 10:02:01

If you are staying close (which would always be my recommendation) you can go early, then retreat to air-conned hotel/villa and pool for the middle of the day, then return later in the day. That is how we did Disney World in August a couple of years back. California should be marginally better for the same temperature as its less humid than Florida.

specialsubject Sat 20-Jul-13 09:48:00

if you booked Florida in July it was obviously going to be hot. Sunscreen (it's a long way south), hats, lots of water. America is planetwreckingly airconditioned so there'll be plenty of chances for comfort.

LA? Probably not the Getty museum with kids, but the Hollywood/Highland area is worth it for the movie icons, pavement stars etc. TBH I couldn't find much else of interest in the city, perhaps someone else can comment.

TBH, I think you are getting hung up a bit on numbers.
Take sensible precautions as you've been advised and you'll be fine.
Enjoy yourselves. I am envy

Petruska Fri 19-Jul-13 15:50:24

37c now. At least it's moving in the right direction!

Petruska Fri 19-Jul-13 15:49:01

LA. BBC have lowered it to 38c now!! We are staying with family about 90 mins from Disney. At least they have a pool!!
Any LA tips greatly appreciated by the way. It will be a one-off trip, not likely to go back.

roughtyping Fri 19-Jul-13 15:09:44

Is it Florida? A lot of the queues are indoors. We used to go go to parks first thing in the morning, go 'home' for lunch and have a swim then go back when it was cooler

centralmum Thu 18-Jul-13 20:43:56

The uk is to get 35 degrees in some places next week apparently!

Petruska Thu 18-Jul-13 20:41:54

Thanks. You have confirmed my fears!!! Dc are 8 and 11 so not babies. We have promised them Disney land and other theme parks!!!! Disney in that heat sounds like a nightmare. I just have to hope it cools down whilst we are there.

kelly14 Thu 18-Jul-13 20:25:48

My brother lives in Dubai where at the moment its been about 45 degrees all week.
Have taken dd since she was a small baby ( she is a fair red head as am I)
Both my brothers children were born out there also ( 4 and 1.5 years)

Definately a full SPF swim suit, hat at all times in the sun. Full sunscreen before going out in morn and then topping up constantly in day even if it says ' waterproof"

Keeping well well hydrated by any means, water and ice lollys.
Try to keep out of sun at hottest times ( between 11-3)
If you are out at those times keep in shade and well covered

Any enjoy yourself x.

MeAndMySpoon Thu 18-Jul-13 17:20:32

If at the beach, sea breezes will cool you down a lot, but obviously the sun will still burn. Take a really good beach shelter, don't rely on a parasol (Coleman do a good one). Try to go back to the villa/hotel for a long middle-of-day rest, and keep the fluids going.

Marylou2 Thu 18-Jul-13 16:13:39

If you've got DC just get SPF sun suits/ hats/ sunglasses. Waterproof SPF on faces and any others uncovered bits. Enjoy your hols! Just got back from Egypt in similar heat and really enjoyed ourselves.

noramum Thu 18-Jul-13 14:56:22

Keep them in the shade, put the paddling pool under a gazebo or similar if possible. Be indoors from 11 - 3pm with a carpet picnic, movie or activity.

Lots of liquid, water, ice made from fruit juice. Get them to wear a hat outside.

mummymeister Thu 18-Jul-13 14:03:11

that is 102 degrees in "real money" wow that is going to be hot! you need to plan to do things very early in the morning and in the late afternoon/evening. if you have DC's don't use suncream but keep them covered instead. I would find this sort of heat debilitating tbh. you cant really do anything at this sort of temp unless you are used to being in it. not ideal if it is a beach hol. hopefully it will be OK for you all. how old are your dc's?

burberryqueen Thu 18-Jul-13 12:25:49

that is quite hot.....
was in Crete at 40 degs some years ago.....
just stay indoors at midday and do not rush about and wear a hat...

Petruska Thu 18-Jul-13 12:23:55

BBC weather is showing where we are off to soon will be 39 degrees next week. Thats two days before we go!!!! How hot will that be? will we be able to actually DO anything in that heat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now