Travelling to Ireland for weekend with Toddler

(6 Posts)
Rootatoot Wed 17-Jul-13 10:54:21

We're going for a wedding and I'm looking into options. I have no clue about all this stuff so help!

If we fly, do we need a passport for 2 year old?

What about car seats? Would car hire places have them?

What do I need to know basically !

Thanks!

chipmonkey Wed 17-Jul-13 12:43:48

In theory, you don't need a passport but you do need photo ID so I always bring passports. I was also lectured by a Garda (policeman) for not having a letter from dh giving permission to bring the kids out of the country.

Whereabouts is the wedding? I have a car seat you could use if you are flying into Dublin. I think most car hire companies rent them though.

Rootatoot Wed 31-Jul-13 10:01:26

Thank you chipmonkey, that's v kind. I've looked into car hire and we'll just get a seat with that. I looked into the finances though and I'm not sure how we're going to afford it. Going to cost a small fortune! sad

minniemagoo Wed 31-Jul-13 10:04:27

Yes your 2 yr old will need a passport to fly but any photo ids will do if travelling by ferry. Whereabouts is the wedding, opting for early morning/late evening flights is much cheaper but depends on how far you have to go after.

bridgetsmum Wed 31-Jul-13 10:28:11

If you are travelling with Ryanair then you will need passports for everyone. This is the only id they will accept.

If you flying with Aer Lingus or BA photo id eg driving license ok as long as you are citizens of and born in Ireland or UK.
On Aer Lingus, children under 16 do not require id as long as citizens of Ireland/UK and travelling with parents.

All info on airlines website

Rootatoot Tue 06-Aug-13 10:14:35

Ok so I'm doing the passport as it's likely to be Ryan Air.

Anyone have experience with Ryan Air? Their website is AWFUL!

I know they add tons of extra fees on, so when I'm quoted £150 for the three of us, what else am I going to have to include? Do I need to reserve seats travelling with 2 year old? They surely wouldn't seat him apart from us anyway? Online boarding pass printing - is that like £7 per pass, so for 3 of us that's an extra £42 for returns too? It's making my head hurt already (though toddler did wake me at 5am today -urgh!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now