Should I upgrade to a sea view or a suite ?

(11 Posts)
purple15 Mon 15-Jul-13 19:24:07

Hi We normally go to Cornwall for our holidays but this year we are seeing whether we like the all inclusive abroad holiday.

We have chosen a 4* all inclusive ( an iberostar ) so it should have nice standards. Anyway, I have been on trip advisor and we can update to a sea view or a suite. This would either be £200 or £400 extra for the duration.

We have paid a lot for the holiday, should we just stay as we are in a family room, or update for a more luxurious experience ?

HappyAsASandboy Mon 15-Jul-13 19:29:25

I would have a look at your room when you arrive. If you are happy (you might get a sea view or other nice view for free wink ) then fine, otherwise ask for a different room or an upgrade depending on what you have seen. The worst case is you get a standard room, the best case is you get a sea view or suite for free smile

LittleFriendSusan Mon 15-Jul-13 19:50:42

Definitely wait and see where you end up first! We stayed at an Iberostar complex in Majorca last year and got a suite (no sea view though) for no extra cost. Further from the entertainment but that suited us fine!

noramum Mon 15-Jul-13 20:32:09

If you go in high season chances are you don't get anything extra. The question is what would you gain from a suite?

Peace and quite in the evenings if you share the main bedroom with your children? That would be more important than a sea view I would hardly see as I don't spend a lot of time in the room during the day.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 15-Jul-13 22:41:26

If you are going to upgrade but don't know which to go for, think about how you use the room.

I have two small children and am happy sharing a room with them, so a second room would be less important to me than the balcony/view. I tend to spend my evenings on the balcony with a baby monitor to the main room, so we do get time without children in the evening despite not having a second room. The view from the balcony is important to me, as it sets the scene of my holiday in my head - mountains/the pool/the sea is all fine; a brick wall/road/noisy pool is not ok, for me. But that's because I am on the balcony if I am in the room smile

Have a great holiday, whatever you decide smile

Fluffy1234 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:41:34

I went to iberostar cala barca last year and i think all rooms were called suites. Mine was a bedroom with an adjoining living room type room with two single beds. I Didn't pay extra for a view as was only in the room to sleep or shower.

purple15 Thu 18-Jul-13 20:06:27

That's where we are going Iberostar Club Cala Barca. I have read mixed reviews on trip advisor.

FLUFFY _ How did you find it ?

Fluffy1234 Thu 18-Jul-13 20:15:58

We only stayed 4 nights pre cruise and had a lovely time. The hotel has it's own, very quiet beach down a slope and we had fun as a family swimming in the sea. The pools are long and sort of wiggly in shape and offered shady areas if you want it. The restaurants were busy in high season but the food was good and there was outdoor seating. We joined in lots of the activities and a game called Bingo Bongo was fun in the afternoons. I enjoyed the evenings, people watching and drinking the all inclusive Baileys. I wouldn't bother reading all the reviews. You've booked the holiday so no point reading what the moaners have to say. One of the best things about the hotel was the mix of nationalities. I wouldn't pay for an upgrade of accommodation as the standard family room/suite was fine. I hope you have a lovely trip.

purple15 Thu 18-Jul-13 20:21:02

Thanks so much for that. I have decided the money for the upgrade to save and hopefully have a weekend away later in school holidays.

Glad you enjoyed, I will not look again on trip advisor.

LittleFriendSusan Sun 21-Jul-13 10:17:40

That's where we went too! Our 'suite' overlooked one of the smaller pools further away from the main complex. I think perhaps they used to be self catering apartments as they also had a little kitchenette bit. So we had two bedrooms (one double, one with 2 singles) a living area & a kitchen area with table chairs etc. Decent balcony.

We enjoyed it - the only disappointing factor for us was that the beach bar / restaurant was no longer included on standard all-inclusive, you had to upgrade to premium for this. So all the restaurant options were self service. The Mediterranean restaurant was the better option - less busy and had better air con. Limited opening times though.

purple15 Sun 21-Jul-13 11:20:26

Cant wait ! Tuesday we go just when the storms are coming here lol .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now