Luggage in a Ford Fiesta (new model)

(5 Posts)
cheerup Mon 15-Jul-13 17:09:21

Years ago I had a Ford Fiesta (R) reg and it had reasonable sized boot as I recall although compared to the C4 Grand Picasso I currently drive it was obviously tiny.

I've hired a Ford Fiesta in Italy in August and am now thinking about what luggage to take to make sure it fits in. The new Fiestas seem to have much smaller boots. With BA we can take 1 big suitcase each along with 2 bits of hand luggage. We don't need all that but we will need a fair amount as on top of clothes etc for 4 of us (two adults, two children 4 and 7) we also need to take bedding (sleeping bags?), towels and sheets as we're hiring a tent for some of the time.

So, my questions are 1) just how big is the boot in the new fiesta, 2) what type of luggage would fit best? I'm thinking maybe hand baggage sized suitcase each for personal effects and large soft bag for bedding and towels. 3 x suitcases could go in footwells, 1 on Dh's lap or in between children in the back. Soft bag in the boot?

It is cheaper to buy new luggage than to upgrade the car and as we don't plan on doing lots of driving with the luggage I don't mind if it's a squeeze.

mummymeister Mon 15-Jul-13 19:02:49

First thing get down to your local ford garage and have a look in one. take a tape measure and measure it in 3 d. always best to take a number of smaller bits of luggage than one great big suitcase. this way you can have luggage on peoples laps/on the floor if you need to. I would suggest you take 2 or 3 smaller suitcases rather than one big one. it is cheaper to borrow luggage if you can and don't see the point in upgrading a car just for 2 trips.

forevergreek Mon 15-Jul-13 19:17:14

I would take x2 medium bags/ suitcases to go in boot, and a long thin ish duffle bag with sleeping stuff to stuff behind front seats

forevergreek Mon 15-Jul-13 19:18:16

Actually I would be tempted to just take hand luggage rucksacks with clothes and just one large bag for sleeping stuff

specialsubject Tue 16-Jul-13 11:34:59

don't use ANY suitcases - heavy and take up way too much space! Pack soft and a lot more will fit in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now