Driving in Spain

(11 Posts)
SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 15-Jul-13 11:42:18

Is there anything I need to know about driving in Spain? Any rules that are different from here?

Donki Mon 15-Jul-13 11:52:06

Need a warning triangle and hi-vis jackets for occupants.
There are often speed limits for tunnels.
They drive on the right.
Make sure you have your passport with you as well as your driving licence. (police can demand ID)
The police can fine you (and demand cash) on the spot if you speed.
Children under 12 are not allowed in the front.
Seat belts must be worn (bit like home really)

I'm sure that there are more...

BellaVida Mon 15-Jul-13 11:58:23

You need to carry a warning triangle and a reflective vest (to wear outside the vehicle in a breakdown).
If the car has a European registration plate, you no longer need a GB sticker.
Petrol is 'gasolina' and diesel is 'gasoleo'.
Only completely hands free mobile systems allowed- no head sets or ear pieces.
If traffic suddenly slows or comes to a stop, drivers put on their hazard warning lights to advise traffic behind.
Usual legal requirements for under 12's and car seats.
Emergency services telephone in Spain is 112.
Hope this is what you need!

BellaVida Mon 15-Jul-13 12:08:29

Just remembered from previous post, as well as your passport, take both parts of your licence, also proof of insurance and car ownership documents.
You will also need need to show photo ID whenever you use your credit card.
Also, park carefully. If not, you risk a tow truck taking your car and you will have to pay to get it back! Never happened to me, but it does happen.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 18-Jul-13 11:05:13

Thanks for the advice. We will be hiring a car so I guess they will have the triangle etc. in there?

Donki Sun 21-Jul-13 20:07:06

They should do - but it is well worth checking. I also check that there is a spare tyre, jack and tyre wrench. All too frequently they are missing...

Donki Sun 21-Jul-13 20:09:01

And depending where you are going the parking rules on street can vary from day to day... (In Nerja for instance, you can park on some streets only on alternate days - and they do tow away cars that are parked incorrectly.)

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 22-Jul-13 11:30:13

Thanks, I will watch out.

bluebump Mon 22-Jul-13 11:34:31

I think it's actually illegal to drive in Spain in flip flops. My ex told me this and we took shoes/proper sandals to drive in when we were there - i'm assuming he was telling the truth grin.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 23-Jul-13 10:49:46

Really?! I will make sure I take some proper sandals to drive in and tell my DH the same. Thanks for mentioning that I may not have realised otherwise smile

jkklpu Tue 30-Jul-13 22:10:57

If you're driving in the city and the lights turn back to amber or red, keep driving or the car behind will rear-end you, assuming you will keep going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now