Driving in France: Do you adjust your headlights? Or get those sticker things?

(12 Posts)
Erebus Sun 14-Jul-13 20:46:46

We're heading to France (Brittany) in 10 days. Last time we went, 4 years ago, different car, we dutifully got and applied those sticker things you're supposed to put on your headlights- but noted no one else pulling off the ferry appeared to have bothered. Did they all troop to their garage and get their lights adjusted? Or spend ages with their lights pointing at a wall going 'up a bit/down a bit' - or did they just ignore it??

But we do have the triangle and hi-viz vests!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Jul-13 20:49:46

I've always got stickers. Legally you need them and the police do pull British motorists over at random and fine them.

You also need a fire extinguisher and I believe two breathalysers. Oh and a first aid kit.

PatriciaHolm Sun 14-Jul-13 22:29:14

We always do stickers; as said, it's a requirement and not exactly a hardship.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Jul-13 22:38:39

I'm puzzled as to how you know they hadn't done it?

They could have put the stickers on before leaving for the ferry. Not everyone puts them on while waiting to offload.

I used to leave mine on my campervan, its not illegal to have them on in the UK. I'd get a line on my mot certificate each year but its not a thing to fail on.

specialsubject Sun 14-Jul-13 23:21:01

remember that the hi-viz vests have to be in the passenger compartment. Apparently there isn't a fine if you don't have breathalysers, but you should carry two. (!!!)

the stickers are sensible.

Erebus Mon 15-Jul-13 08:18:03

Viva - because you can see the stickers?

4 years ago, re the stickers and realigning headlights, my MOT garage told me he put a warning on the MOT for people who hadn't realigned their headlights after a European holiday as they didn't meet the MOT requirements for properly aligned headlights in the UK! He said you have to watch out because your insurance could refuse to pay out if they spotted that and you hadn't rectified it!

Yonihadtoask Mon 15-Jul-13 08:24:27

I use the stickers - my headlamps are too complicated to adjust?? We usually fit them whilst on the Tunnel.

Still have the sticky remnants from last years on the glass.

Thanks for the reminder, need some more for our trip.

Rattitude Mon 15-Jul-13 08:25:11

The breathalyser requirement has been canned. I don't think there is a requirement for a fire extinguisher either: I don't know anybody in France who carries one in his/her car...

DoesBuggerAll Mon 15-Jul-13 08:30:45

I never bother with the headlight stickers. Used to but not for several years now. Ever seen a foreign car use the in the UK?

PieceOfTheMoon Mon 15-Jul-13 08:35:47

We're in France now, have used the stickers (put them on at first service station rather than on the train). Pretty sure you do still need breathalysers, warning triangle, hi vis vests and first aid kit.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 15-Jul-13 08:41:28

Oh ok, I can't see my stickers unless I get right up to the headlights. They're nearly see through....which I know sounds odd. grin

advice here

It says it is compulsory to carry a breathalyser but they haven't yet brought in fines for not doing so.

Rattitude Mon 15-Jul-13 09:46:23

Viva, you are right.

The breathalyser is mandatory but you will not be fined if you don't have one in your car. Personally, I would not bother getting hold of one.

For anybody who speaks French, here are the rules:

Link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now