Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Medical emergency abroad. HELP PLEASE.

(27 Posts)
medicalsos Sat 13-Jul-13 16:13:25

Sorry if this has been done before - too stressed to search.

DS is on a lads holiday.hmm He had an accident and he now has a fractured eyesocket which will need surgery. He is currently in a private hospital there, courtesy of insurance.

Does anybody know about eyesocket fractures? About airtravel with same? Is surgery really necessary? Should he have the surgery over there or back here? Anything else I should be considering?

YoniMontana Sat 13-Jul-13 16:16:12

Sorry I don't have experience I hope he is ok. What country is it?

medicalsos Sat 13-Jul-13 16:20:59

Cyprus.

Hawkmoth Sat 13-Jul-13 16:23:23

I think an unstable eye socket fracture can be a threat to the eye, which is why they would want to do surgery?

tribpot Sat 13-Jul-13 16:24:49

I would have thought the insurance company would have an opinion on whether the surgery was required whilst abroad, or could wait for a return to the UK. Has he spoken to them? When was he due to fly back before this happened?

celestialsquirrels Sat 13-Jul-13 16:25:04

It sounds like he may have been punched perhaps. Care in a private hospital should be good. Why don't you ask who the proposed surgeon is, where he trained, when and speak to him? If you don't like the sound of anything then think about next steps.
Good luck.

YoniMontana Sat 13-Jul-13 16:25:30

Do you know hi they booked it through? Could you speak to the travel company or airline?
(Keeping bumped x)

mynameisslimshady Sat 13-Jul-13 16:25:56

I'm not an expert at all, I do know someone that had a fractured socket and the surgery had to be ASAP because of risk of further complications if it was left. You must be so very worried sad

medicalsos Sat 13-Jul-13 16:27:36

I was trying to get information before I spoke to the insurers. I know nothing about this sort of stuff and didn't want to be bamboozled into the wrong decision. [scared and worried emoticon]

He is supposed to fly back on Wednesday.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 13-Jul-13 16:31:08

Eye socket fractures can involve the sinuses, which might mean airtravel is not advised. Every fracture is different, but they do often need surgery.

The best people to contact are his insurers, who should have medical experts and access to his medical reports/X rays etc from the hospital.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 13-Jul-13 16:32:08

I'll see if I can find a good source of info for you, hang on...

CajaDeLaMemoria Sat 13-Jul-13 16:34:45

His insurance will decide. You won't be bamboozled. They'll look at his medical history and decide if surgery must be done before returning home or if he can be stabilised and have the surgery here.

It's likely surgery will be needed there due to sinus issues with the eye.

Speak to his insurance ASAP. they tend to be very nice.

alreadytaken Sat 13-Jul-13 16:35:39

one source of advice

www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/oph_orbital_fracture/

Let his insurers speak to the doctors

medicalsos Sat 13-Jul-13 16:35:40

DS e-mailed that his mate says that the doctor says (see why I'm worried - it could all be chinese whispers and misunderstandings) that the best thing is to get airlifted home and treated here. Is that
because they are scared to take on a risky procedure,
because it's not a profitable-enough procedure,
because it's a long convalescence best done at home
... or a million other awful possibilities that pop into my head.

tribpot Sat 13-Jul-13 16:36:18

Is he in hospital as a medical emergency, then, i.e. on his EHIC card if his insurers haven't been informed? Can you speak to them, isn't it his policy? I agree with Bore though - his insurers will have to okay the surgery before it goes ahead so it's best just to get on to them and then they can get on to the hospital.

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Sat 13-Jul-13 16:36:38

I would have thought flying could be an issue

tribpot Sat 13-Jul-13 16:38:24

doctor says that the best thing is to get airlifted home

This could simply be because it's what he's insured for. Rather than surgery and convalescence abroad.

medicalsos Sat 13-Jul-13 16:38:31

Thanks guys. I knew that you would come up trumps.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 13-Jul-13 16:49:55

This is a US site with good info in lay language

http://vision.about.com/od/emergencyeyecare/a/Orbital-Blowout-Fracture.htm

This is a UK site but the content is intended for professional readers
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Zygomatic-Arch-and-Orbital-Fractures.htm

'Orbit' is the eye socket, 'zygomatic arch' is the cheekbone next to the eye socket, which is often also involved in injuries of this type.

It's not particularly complex surgery - very common after lads nights out or sports, due to punch/ball in the eye. The thing that I would want to know is whether the pressure changes during flight mean that air travel is not advised before OR after surgery. His insurers are best placed to assess this.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 13-Jul-13 16:51:52
alreadytaken Sat 13-Jul-13 17:29:19

agree with the concern about pressure changes and his sinuses but I don't know enough to know how much of an issue it might be. Unfortunately getting back from Cyprus without air travel would take quite a time. It does seem to be possible www.seat61.com/Cyprus.htm#.UeF_mtJOPSg

His insurers doctors should be in contact with the doctors in Cyprus and discussing the options. Presumably the Cyprus doctors know he has insurance as he's in a private hospital.

medicalsos Sat 13-Jul-13 17:45:35

Hi again. Been trying to phone round every medical type person I know. It's a beautiful day so no-one is at home.sad

I think that we have to come to the conclusion that we go with what the insurers say as they will have better info than us.

I want him home.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 13-Jul-13 20:08:56

Oh, I do hope he's home with you soon, OP.

yamsareyammy Sat 13-Jul-13 20:14:55

Not sure if you would also want to post this in General Health?

youarewinning Sat 13-Jul-13 20:16:59

I worked as a rep for years. The hospitals are generally very good and only do surgery that's necessary.

Lots of people have been flown home air ambulance, with dr on board.

Insurance are the best people to speak to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now