Spain in Aug with 7, 4 and 9 month old....

(9 Posts)
MummyIsMagic79 Sat 13-Jul-13 15:45:14

Have a villa in Frigiliana with a pool. 5 adults and 3 kids.

Any tips?

Was going to buy a sun tent but baby (8mo at present) such an adventurous crawler, he'll just crawl out. Or get one anyway? How will he be able to crawl with the floor so hot? It's 39 degrees there today. Have never Ben abroad with our children so am looking for ways to make it easy. Will they suffer in the heat? Are the hats and constant sun cream enough? Am a bit panicked!

jkklpu Sat 13-Jul-13 16:00:30

You'll certainly need hats and constant suncream but you can't have them outside all day long as really will be too much. If you're lucky, your villa will be relatively cool so you can have them inside in the middle of the day. You're right that the stone around the pool will probably be too hot to crawl on, so you'll need to plan to have the baby inside more than you might expect. Is there a fence around the pool and maybe a grassy area that wouldn't be too hot? For swimming, they should wear tops not only trunks/swimsuits.
And make sure you have comprehensive travel insurance for all of you as well as EHIC cards.

MummyIsMagic79 Sat 13-Jul-13 16:04:11

Thank you so much smile

Excited but worried also. I always burnt as a child, and DS1 (7) is ginger with freckles, like me. V worried about it all really!

jkklpu Sat 13-Jul-13 16:06:06

If he's that colouring, better to have him in long sleeves and long shorts + hat

MummyIsMagic79 Sat 13-Jul-13 16:14:50

Yeah have bought a few v thin cotton long sleeve shirts.

DD extremely dark sallow colouring. She has never burnt but still worried.

rainbowmagic1974 Sat 13-Jul-13 19:17:13

We stayed in Nerja last year with similar temps ( just down the road!)
We found that the caves at Nerja were a godsend. Really cool inside ( temperature wise and they were amazing!) and also had a nice cafe and playground there too. We went several times just to play!

nobeer Sat 13-Jul-13 19:22:52

If I were you I'd be putting the highest strength Sun screen on all your kids. Even Spanish people burn you know. Put it on them 30 minutes before they go outside so it's absorbed properly. And relax, it's too hot to be rushing around!

enjoy your holidays smile

MummyIsMagic79 Sat 13-Jul-13 19:34:36

Thank you smile Will look for the caves smile Sounds like a great idea!

Thanks re: relaxing too. Been thinking ill be running around all the time after them!

juneau Wed 17-Jul-13 17:50:07

You won't be running around in that heat. Plan to go out in the morning before it gets too hot (which means before about 9 or 10am), then somewhere cool after that. If you're outside the kids should wear full sun suits with hats and lots of sunscreen. My ginger-haired nieces wear this kind of thing in the sun. Ideally you'll be indoors between about 12-3pm. Most shops are shut during that time and most Spaniards disappear for a siesta, which is very sensible. Sun tents are only good for immobile babies or older DC who'll actually sit in them - for crawlers they're pretty pointless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now