Wetsuits

(10 Posts)
Chippychop Fri 12-Jul-13 22:03:09

Off to Cornwall on hol, and. Thinking of buying dc. (7&3) wetsuits, is there any difference in quality or should I just buy cheapies?

gandalfcat Fri 12-Jul-13 22:14:06

my experience says wetsuits can be enormously different - pre-DS I used to scuba dive and could easily drop a couple of £100, but for small kids to wear to splash around in, and that they will no doubt grow out of by cheapest you can find. If they get really grotty you don't need to feel too bad about throwing them away at the end of the holiday! Very jealous, friends just back from Cornwall last night said it is as perfect as you could dream of there at the moment! Enjoy.

Chippychop Fri 12-Jul-13 22:30:24

Aww thanks gandalfcat I was hoping to go abroad but alas not this year instead I'm really looking forward to a proper family holiday by the sea. The more I think about it the more I'm looking to it. Btw a friend saw wetsuits c £10 in a cheaply shop soapy just get them

noramum Sat 13-Jul-13 10:00:42

DD was such a skinny toddler she froze in a normal pool. So we bought a proper neoprene suit for her. She was toasty warm in it.

For holiday in Majorca she would wear a thin UV 50 wetsuit, she would have never lasted in that in the North Sea.

It really depends what you want from it.

Llareggub Sat 13-Jul-13 10:08:05

Buy cheapies. We were swimming in the sea yesterday evening and we were fine in swimsuits. My boys are 6 and 4 and skinny and were in for around an hour. It was 7pm and the beach was packed! This was in the Gower.

specialsubject Sat 13-Jul-13 10:32:18

all that matters is fit. A wetsuit works by trapping a thin layer of water round the body, which is then warmed by body heat. If it leaks (either through stitching or through arm/leg holes) then the warm water escapes and new cold water comes in.

for kids, get cheapies that fit, as obviously they won't fit for long. Take them off by peeling them, banana style, and try to discourage urination in them.

Llareggub Sat 13-Jul-13 10:40:21

If Cornwall is anything like West Wales every shop will have cheap wetsuits.

zumo Mon 15-Jul-13 06:32:53

You can often see them cheap on Ebay and Car boot sales, wash them wear them then just give them away.
Our daughter feels the cold so wears a winter suit in the summer, son has a good quality UK made one that was £3 at a car boot sale, remember a full wet suit will keep there legs and arms warm and protected from the sun.
Kids love them as they can spend much longer in the water even on cooler days, the shoes are good too if its slippy under foot

I got my 3 dc shortie ones in Sports Direct laat week for a tenner each.

cantreachmytoes Mon 15-Jul-13 07:00:07

Make sure you rinse them with fresh water after..helps combat the urine smell which is inevitable with children (inevitable with many adults too. Once told there are two types of divers: the ones who pee in their suits and the ones who claim they don't).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now