Help! Last minute August holiday ideas

(16 Posts)
Ruffello Fri 12-Jul-13 14:30:51

For various reasons we still haven't booked a holiday and I'm starting to panic. We need to go in the first week in August and would like either AI or apartment and flight deal. I've looked at online travel supermarkets, like Lastminute.com, TravelRepubic etc, but don't fancy the Canaries, Balearics- type offers that come up - they seem aimed mostly at families with young kids. Not too fussed where we go, but not the above or big holiday complex type places. We'd like to be near sea/lake and interesting places to visit. Budget up to £2000 for 3 adults. Any ideas/good websites would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Ruffello Fri 12-Jul-13 14:35:23

TravelRepublic not pubic! confused

triplets Fri 12-Jul-13 22:59:13

Snap! We can`t pre book because my dh has cancer, he is now in remission smile So we are desp for a holiday and have looked and looked. Spent ages in the travel agents this morning and they couldn`t find anything either! Just, like you want a holiday for 5 of us! Good luck.

DameDeepRedBetty Fri 12-Jul-13 23:05:57

We HAVE booked with a LastMinute type web thing we found, but spent time on Trip Advisor checking the hotels out. We went for reviews from Groups, and basically if the hotel got appalling reviews from Stag/Hen parties we investigated further!

We THINK we've found a decent clean quiet self-catering in Lanzarote, dissed by the 18-30's for being half hour walk from The Strip and because hotel owner threatened to throw them out when they came home at 4 a.m. with two girls who had not originally been with their party... Hope it's ok, we've booked now grin

SwedishEdith Fri 12-Jul-13 23:17:44

Can you use skyscanner or the moneysavingexpert flight planner to find cheap flights and then look for houses/cottages in that area? Use ownersdirect, homeaway or holidaylettings

Ruffello Sat 13-Jul-13 09:48:20

I'm going to do some serious holiday searching his weekend. You're right DameDeep, there ARE deals out there. I just need to find one and get DH to agree (that's another issue in itself!) Good luck triplets!

Crutchlow35 Australia Sat 13-Jul-13 14:38:32

Where flying from?

Crutchlow35 Australia Sat 13-Jul-13 14:41:45

Have a look at icelolly.com. Lots of deals on there.

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 13-Jul-13 15:16:23

just book a villa? and some flights? try simpson travel

slug Sat 13-Jul-13 16:43:18

Some suggestions:
Slovenia fly Easyjet to Lubjiana then go to Lake Bled

Hungary. Again, Easyjet to Budapest then take the train to Lake Ballaton. One side if the lake is a bit chavtastic, but the other is civilised with good day trips. Try Tihany or the nearest town

Croatia. Split is fantastic with day trips to islands and day trips inland to forests and waterfalls. Pula is also nice. You can do a day trip from there to Venice on a hovercraft but you may have to travel by the evil Ryanair

Ruffello Sat 13-Jul-13 17:35:02

icelolly.com looks promising, lots of good looking deals on there. Thanks Crutchlow. And slug, Croatia would be my top choice. I'm sure it would suit us down to the ground, but DH inexplicably won't even consider it. Aargh!

Portofino Mon 15-Jul-13 09:15:08

Lake Como or Garda? The Cinque Terre area on the Italian coast is stunning. Very nice food.

Portofino Mon 15-Jul-13 09:30:46
Ruffello Mon 15-Jul-13 09:55:18

Sicily and Lake Como also great suggestions Portofino. We've been to Lake Garda several times - love it! DH however is now leaning towards renting somewhere in Devon or Cornwall through OwnersDirect, which would be fine too. I think I may have to leave dreams of foreign travel till next year <sighs>

AndreaDawn Sat 20-Jul-13 20:56:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Suttonmum1 Sun 21-Jul-13 08:48:56

Agree with Lake Bled or Split. Good value.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now