Realistic amount I need to save to take my parents on holiday.

(5 Posts)
CoralQueen Fri 12-Jul-13 13:10:56

Quick note: not a mum, just like to use the blog.

My dad is 60 next year (June) and hasn't been on holiday for about 5/6 years due to money troubles but him and my mum work really hard just to keep afloat. So, my idea for his 60th birthday present was to take him and my mum on holiday (could be my mum's birthday present too, even though her birthday is in November).

Recently, he quit smoking due to money/health issues which, was his excuse to not go anywhere further than 4 hours on a plane, so now I feel like this present is even more fitting and I should take him somewhere far away.

As my parents are chefs, they usually go self catering. However, the last holiday they had, they stayed at an all inclusive 5* resort where the food was amazing, so I'm not really sure which one I would go with.

I've just started my first full time job after uni, so I'm not flush but I was wondering if anyone could give me a realistic cost based on what I have mentioned, so that I know whether I will be able to save that much for next June?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 12-Jul-13 21:49:12

Aaaw, what a lovely thing to want to do.

But tbh, it's kind of how long is a piece of string.

I'd say for a week for 3 adults to stay in an all inclusive 5* resort in June, long haul, you're looking £5k.

You might be better trying to find the resorts you'd like and then looking up the price.

Crutchlow35 Sat 13-Jul-13 17:10:44

Depends where you are considering and what you want to do with your days? Cities or beach?
June will be good as outwith school holidays.

Somewhere like the south of France may be? Or if you are going AI Greek islands would be good, particularly food wise.

Murtette Mon 15-Jul-13 16:21:33

My parents had an event just after I started work (can't now remember if it was a significant birthday or a significant wedding anniversary). DBro and I researched some different options which cost about the same (so less nights in a smarter hotel v more nights in a less smart hotel v going by Eurostar v flying etc) and let them choose. We also made it clear that whilst we would pay for any of those options (all of which were a complete break so, for example, Eurostar to Bruges & three nights in a hotel there), they were welcome to top it up themselves and stay in a more expensive hotel or for more nights or whatever. In the end, they went to Bruges, stayed in the hotel we'd chosen but chose to drive (and get the ferry) and tagged a couple of days in northern France onto it which they paid for themselves. I thought this worked well as they could balance what they wanted with what we were offering. It might not work as well if you were planning on joining them on the holiday as it would have to be something you want to do as well.

Murtette Mon 15-Jul-13 16:25:39

PS Another reason for talking to your parents rather than doing it as a complete surprise is that a couple of years ago DBro & I gave our parents enough for return (economy) flights to Oz & Nz plus accom for three weeks (if they were happy to do it relatively cheaply) as they'd always talked about wanting to go there. Rather than doing that, they've ended up doing four separate week long out of season holidays to northern Europe, each of which they have got a real lift out of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now