5 seater or 7 seater in the UK?

(22 Posts)
charlottenina Tue 09-Jul-13 09:08:12

we have 2 kids under 5 and t the moment have 1 car 5 seater. Now, when we are taking my DC's friend for a day out or want to go a long distance, then feel a bit cramped in a that car. do you think it is better to upgrade to a 7 seater. I think we will need to pay 3000 difference ( on part exchange). I use car to travel to work everyday. so the main use of 7 seater would be week ends and holidays. please share your thoughts

TanglednotTamed Tue 09-Jul-13 09:15:13

I don't think you need it if you are just taking one extra child occasionally.

We have just upgraded to a 7-seater - we have 3 children under 6, and wanted the extra seats in order to be able to give someone a lift, and also to have the extra boot space.

But when we have 3 kids in the car, we would always have them all in the same row and not put any of them in the 'boot seats' because those are smaller, more awkward, and IMO not as safe.

DeepRedBetty Tue 09-Jul-13 09:20:14

Not only the purchase price but the insurance and fuel will be considerably higher with a seven seater. I'm in the throes of trying to decide what to do myself at the moment.

If you go for the Zafira or similar, you can stuff extra children in, but there's no room for gubbins, except in a roof box or trailer.

I'm floating towards Ford Galaxy/Seat Alhambra/VW Sharan at the moment, which are about a foot longer so still have boot space with both rows of seats in use.

mummymeister Tue 09-Jul-13 18:48:15

We are on our 3rd Galaxy and love it. perfect for 3 DC's and their friends being chauffeured around (we live in a rural area and everyone shares lifts) once you get a bigger car you will be a magnet for DC's friends. yes they are more expensive to run but we have a diesel galaxy that we got ex demo from motorpoint. we find it is great for camping hols as well as all the gubbins that you get with outdoors type kids.

We have just got an s-max and it is nice to be able to take out friends but the main reason we got one is 3 dc and elderly grandparents who can't drive. I think the expense is harder to jusyify when for friends. If it is so that they don't have to take their car then the number of times you would be doubling up would probably financially and evironmentally (bigger car bigger engine for all the other miles you do on your own) not make sense. Also it depends where you live - if there are good transport links then a day trip by bus/ train can be fun as they get older. If you are in the countryside and your friends have no car then you could be really helping them out. I personally wouldn't have got one just to give other people lifts, but now that we have one for other reasons it is nice to be able to offer. It was also nice to go for a cycle ride and fit 4 bikes in the boot!

Mum2Fergus Tue 09-Jul-13 19:27:05

We invested in a Mazda Bongo...8 seats and converts to a 'camper' for holidays with use of drive away awning...best buy ever grin

SweepTheHalls Tue 09-Jul-13 19:31:26

Loving out citroen c4 grand picasso! 3 full size seats in the middle or, loads of cabin space and 2extra seats in the boot for any extras.

TanglednotTamed Tue 09-Jul-13 22:44:03

SweepTheHalls - How are you getting on with the aircon in the C4 Grand Picasso. We have one, and the aircon isn't great - especially in the back - the extra row of seats in the boot is sweltering, and never gets any air circulation. DH says it's just because it's a bigger car, but I am wondering if we've missed something?!

JollyShortGiant Tue 09-Jul-13 22:53:32

Mum2Fergus just looked up the Mazda Bongo. I want one of those! Now just to convince DH that this should be our next car...

Mum2Fergus Wed 10-Jul-13 17:00:16

You have to convince him Jolly Giant! Best money I've ever spent gringrin

zumo Mon 15-Jul-13 06:44:27

I have a had my fare share of 7 seaters
Landrover Discovery, good but seats are no good in the boot as early ones are side facing.
Old Volvo, poor on fuel but what a car, but boot seats are only any good till about 12 depending on height.
Our daily cheap run about we have had for the last 4 years is an old Peugeot 406 Diesel estate, its a 7 seater diesel with 200,000miles on it, its fantastic but the seats in the boot are only suitable till about age 12 depending on the kids height, but its been the most versatile car we have had, it was cheap (£700) good on fuel (35+MPG).
As our kids are both now very tall and we often take the elderly inlaws out with us I bought an old Mazda Bongo for £1200, it needed some work which the vendor told us about up front, in total it owes us under £2000, its just fantastic, very comfy, nippy, seats 8 adult size people, big sunroof, aircon automatic with power steering, ours has a small kitchen in the boot so ideal for days out and as its technically classed as a camper van, and our third car I insure it limited miles (3000 a year) no commuting on a classic camper policy for £185 two drivers parked on the drive inc full recovery.
To cut to the chase the van based 7 seaters are the best and most versatile.

zumo Mon 15-Jul-13 06:47:39

Have you considered keeping the car you have and just buying a 7 seater for best / weekends?, best of both worlds?
Our insurance / fuel economy has not really altered with ours but they have mainly been diesel.

Yonihadtoask Mon 15-Jul-13 08:32:07

I have the Grand C4 Picasso - and love it. I have had it almost 4 years now. Initially bought it as it had the three 'full' seats.

Howver the extra two seats in the very back are only used very, very occasionally.

Our DCs are big teenagers -and they aren't cramped. If we ever take the ILs out though we have to stuff a couple of boys in the small seats in the back. Which then leaves minimal boot space.

I find it very economical to run - it's only a 1.6 l Diesel. Easy to drive and park- despite it's large appearance. Loads of leg room in the back, which comes in handy for our long drives to France. And headroom is excellent all round.

lljkk Mon 15-Jul-13 09:01:23

the running costs for a 7 seater are so much higher, why would you do that? You're looking at an extra 10-25p/mile you travel. Mad for an occasional passenger. Look at What Car? figures to verify what I'm saying.

duchesse Mon 15-Jul-13 09:05:18

We have a 2007 reg Ford Galaxy that does 54 mpg, better than many small cars. Having said that I wouldn't think you needed a 7 seater with only 2 children.

lljkk Mon 15-Jul-13 12:05:06

Is that a diesel, Duchesse? What about your repair costs? Only I have been ticked off on another thread for implying that a diesel could be cheap to run when low mileage like OP.

duchesse Mon 15-Jul-13 17:27:52

It is a diesel Tdi. It's done 90,000 miles in 6 years and only required the front tyres replacing (a little too often for our liking) due to the engine being right on top of them. The only mechanical problem we've had in 6 years was a very recently when some scum collected in the power steering system and it cost about £30 to put right. My husband even filled it with petrol once the numpty and it suffered no ill-effects after having its stomach pumped.

lljkk Mon 15-Jul-13 18:28:46

Boy, my 7-seater is such a lemon. Probably spent about £4k on repairs in last 3.5 yrs. It's now worth £1000 max.

GobbySadcase Mon 15-Jul-13 18:32:01

My C4 grand is the same for circulation - 61 reg if that helps, but my previous 58 reg one was the same.

GobbySadcase Mon 15-Jul-13 18:32:53

The Sharan is pricey for parts. Swear it's the VW badge that does it.

duchesse Mon 15-Jul-13 18:38:05

Blimey Liykk, that's not good! How dispiriting. What is yours?

lljkk Mon 15-Jul-13 18:46:17

200? Kia Sedona. 37-38 mpg. Maybe 127k on the engine. We have replace so far drive shaft, clutch, other bits and pieces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now