Separate hotel room for kids ?

(10 Posts)
LIZS Sun 07-Jul-13 10:27:04

From what age did you book a separate room for dc in a hotel ? In the past we've used family rooms, interconnecting rooms or self catering but that is not always possible. If a TO only has rooms with capacity of 2 or 2+1 child how do you manage a family of 4 or more ?

Taffeta Sun 07-Jul-13 18:59:28

My children are 6 and 9 and we share a room. I book direct, tour op allocations are pathetic.

So, this year we are going to Lake Garda, flying EasyJet with reserved seats, great time flights, have booked a separate car and a junior suite at the hotel which is massive, plenty it enough for 4. Much better than the rooms they have through tour operators.

Oh and it's about £300 less.

mumblechum1 Sun 07-Jul-13 19:00:40

We've always had two interconnecting rooms from when the youngest was 4 or 5.

We had lunch with someone recently who shared a room with their teenage boys shock for two weeks

We are a family of 6. We usually book two rooms of three and put an adult in each room.

superram Sun 07-Jul-13 19:03:07

Not always possible but we book services apartments where we can- they do tend to be more readily available in cities though.

Bunbaker Sun 07-Jul-13 19:03:26

Go self catering and book a two room apartment.

OwlMother Sun 07-Jul-13 19:07:13

We have 3 dc, 13, 9 and 7. We're currently in a hotel with three rooms (interconnecting). Having said that, when price really matters we don't mind sharing. We all slept in a huge family room for a week when we were skiing earlier in the year. By the time we were finished dinner we were ready for bed and all crashed out exhausted!!
Weddings etc we always take two rooms. Think it depends on you, your kids, and everyone's tolerance for each other!! And yes, always book direct, no travel agents. The hotel we're in currently offered us the three rooms we're in when I emailed asking for two, for the same price.

homebythesea Mon 08-Jul-13 12:56:48

We have always gone for separate sleeping areas for adults and kids. When they were little it meant 2 interconnecting rooms or a suite with sofa bed in the living area. Now they are teens they don't like sharing and they are boy/girl so inappropriate anyway so we mostly rent villas/apartments as it is too expensive to do 3 hotel rooms. We have done that on occaision though for short breaks and make sure the rooms are close together. I wouldn't have done that when they were younger though

jamtoast12 Tue 09-Jul-13 20:27:32

We are a family of four with two dds aged 6&8. We always share a room and have no problems... Kids love it!

I'm also very paranoid abroad, I always wander who may have keys etc to the room! Even on the occasions we've had separate rooms, we've each shared one adult and one child! It really mimics your choice if you insist on separate rooms too.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 11-Jul-13 11:31:06

We never go to hotels, we book a 2 bed apartment or a villa. I wouldn't be happy with our children in a separate room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now