Just cabin bags - is it enough?

(15 Posts)
QuizTeamAguilera Tue 02-Jul-13 17:49:31

Has anyone successfully managed to pack, for a one week European holiday, using just a cabin bag? I'm too stingy to pay for hold luggage and hate waiting at those carousels.

I think I can do it - have any of you?

YDdraigGoch Tue 02-Jul-13 17:52:19

Yes. Easy prays - but I'm not one for dressing up, nor do I have a lot of toiletries/ make up etc.

YDdraigGoch Tue 02-Jul-13 17:52:48

Doh - easy peasy, not prays!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 02-Jul-13 17:55:58

Quizteam - love your name! Watching this with interest. Am taking the DC to Southern Italy in August, and as we will be catching trains etc, am intending just to take hand-luggage rucksacks, so thinking minimal. For me, paper knickers, for the DC old pants and socks they can throw away after wearing. ipods/kindles so no books needed.

QuizTeamAguilera Tue 02-Jul-13 17:56:42

Oh good, thanks. I am a bit of a make-up/toiletries queen but I can keep that to an absolute minimum.

I'm happy to just take flip flops and the shoes I travel in but how many and what type of outfits are we talking about?

aliciaflorrick Tue 02-Jul-13 17:57:48

Yes I do two weeks in Turkey every year and everyone has a carry on bag with their clothes (and we have space), but we do have a washing machine in the rented house and I'm not one for getting dressed up on a night.

It's the beach towels that take up all the space.

QuizTeamAguilera Tue 02-Jul-13 17:59:35

* MrsSalvo* Paper knickers! You really are taking this very seriously. My two DC are old enough to carry their own bags. I'm wondering now, whether they have any very old pants!

QuizTeamAguilera Tue 02-Jul-13 18:01:44

alicia, we too are off to Turkey and have a washing machine at our disposal. I'm just so used to over-packing. Apparently, we don't need to take beach towels, as these are provided too.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 02-Jul-13 18:11:33

As is me and the DC am not planning any romantic trysts grin. I will be taking one bikini + sarong, one day dress, one dress for evening, will be wearing trainers and socks on the plane, and taking flipflops that can be worn with my evening dress (ie dress for evening , not 'evening dress' grin and look okay. Shrug that can with both dresses. Makeup = just mascara, eyeliner and Vaseline.

Janek Tue 02-Jul-13 18:13:22

You will be fine, you all need one of these. They are 44 litres, which is only 21 litres less than my proper, travelling rucksack. We've done christmas for a week, including santa/other presents for two adults and two children with three of these bags.

Don't forget though, that with carry on luggage you can take no more than 100ml of each liquid (unless you buy it airside of course).

YDdraigGoch Tue 02-Jul-13 18:16:51

Have you ever used paper knickers op? They really are awful!
Better to take 5 pairs and hand wash every couple of days.

What you need depends on weather, but a couple of pairs if shorts, one pair light trousers, several t-shirts, one jumper/cardi, couple of socks, one pair sandals and one pair trainers or similar.
One towel for washing, one for swimming. Couple of bras and a couple of bikinis.
Buy toiletries when you get there - take small bottles for use on arrival. Bare minimum make up.

aliciaflorrick Tue 02-Jul-13 18:18:12

Just make sure you've got some trainers for the beach safari/hike around Ephesus and a pair of flip flops to walk down to the beach and jobs a good un.

I don't even pack shorts and t-shirts for me, just about three different sun dresses that I can pull on and off quickly as I only wear them to walk down to the beach and back again. Clean underwear and a nice dress or a pair of trousers for the evening.

DCs have two or three pairs of shorts and t-shirts, swimming stuff a decent pair of shorts and shirt for evening and I pack a long sleeve t-shirt for them to pull on if they look like it's getting hot and they could burn.

The only problem with hand luggage for me is having to buy sun cream on holiday, costs a fortune in holiday resorts.

aliciaflorrick Tue 02-Jul-13 18:18:54

It's not a beach safari it's a jeep safari, doh!

MrsSalvoMontalbano Tue 02-Jul-13 18:19:12

Janel have just ordered one grin - thanks!

Janek Wed 03-Jul-13 13:00:04

Happy to help grin, if you do a search on my name you will see i recommend these bags more often than is healthy, it's as i have a share in the company, i don't of course, they are just perfect for what they're made for and a good price.

And i think ryanair recognise them now, as we just get waved onto the plane without having to shove our rucksacks into the bag measure now, which is one less hassle at a difficult time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now