Trains to Scotland from London

(14 Posts)
TheSmallPrint Mon 01-Jul-13 11:57:54

I use trains about once every ten years so have no clue how to find the best deals on trains and would really love some help from people in the know.

I want to go to Edinburgh but the train fares are more than flying, am I missing a trick? Is there some secret website with cheap fares on?

Please help!

The trainline is a good website re fares.

www.thetrainline.com

KateCroydon Mon 01-Jul-13 12:35:02

google 'bargain berths' and book welll in advance.

TheSmallPrint Mon 01-Jul-13 13:20:08

Thank you both, I have had a look and it's still going to cost a bomb although a railcard would be worth investing in.

It's a shame because I literally want to go and see a friend for two days but with a hotel too I'm looking at over £500 all in. sad

3nationsfamily Mon 01-Jul-13 13:27:51

For Edinburgh the main train operator is East Coast trains . For best prices you need to book 12 weeks in advance. Closer to departure it gets dearer, and any further ahead than 12 weeks and they don't show the cheap seats. So it depends on how far in advance you are travelling. Also, in August for the whole month seats will be at a premium due to the numerous festivals taking place.

TheSmallPrint Mon 01-Jul-13 13:36:35

I'm looking for end of July when the DSs break up, the next day really.

TheSmallPrint Mon 01-Jul-13 13:37:01

Anyone know any good but cheap B&Bs? Hotels are expensive!

Crutchlow35 Mon 01-Jul-13 13:44:10

Try premier inn in London. Always found them to be reasonable.

East coast have a subsite, where if shows cheap fares - eastcoastsavers or something. Also, try virgin to Glasgow for same dates - it's only 45 mins in the train between them.

TheSmallPrint Mon 01-Jul-13 15:58:47

Thanks Crutch but I'm travelling from London so need it at the other end. I've looked at the cheaper end hotels but still I'm looking at around £149 a night because I need a family room. I'm emailing a couple of more local ones to where my friend is, hopefully they are a bit cheaper out of the centre.

Agent, just had a look but they are giving me more expensive tickets for some reason. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and book them as I think they are getting pricier everytime I search the dates!

Edinbugger Mon 01-Jul-13 16:05:49

If you really do think the prices are going up every time you recheck then come off the site and empty your computer cache and cookies etc - then log back onto the site and see if the price has dropped. It works with Ryan Air - don't know about Trainline! smile

HerrenaHarridan Mon 01-Jul-13 16:30:24

If your coming during the festival go to Glasgow and change for edinburgh from there

TheSmallPrint Mon 01-Jul-13 18:09:18

Thank you everyone. I have booked and am now going to crash on my friend's floor with DS1. DS2 will now stay at home with DH which is a shame but will save a small fortune. At least this way we will have some cash so we can eat and do a few of the touristy bits!

I am just really shocked about how expensive it is to travel in the UK, no wonder everyone drives everywhere!

Crutchlow35 Mon 01-Jul-13 19:52:02

Twit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now