holiday in Provence -suggestions please!!!

(12 Posts)
Teensy Sun 23-Jun-13 21:24:42

We are thinking about Provence as a holiday destination. We have a 5 year old and 3 year old. Any recommendations on area and/or accommodation?

Liara Sun 23-Jun-13 21:26:11

I live in Provence!

What part of Provence were you thinking of? What kind of thing do you like to do?

Are you thinking hotels or self-catering accommodation? What kind of a budget do you have?

Teensy Sun 23-Jun-13 21:34:58

Ah ok. Self catering accommodation. We would like somewhere with a pool and driving distance to beach. We do like to be able to explore the area when we are on holidays and like bike rides. .sorry quite vague! We would also like to be close enough to walk to at least a restaurant and shop... thanks!

Liara Sun 23-Jun-13 21:43:46

Hmm, area I'm in not within driving distance of a beach, so can't help on that.

Sounds like you are looking for something around the Nice area? Don't really know it very well, although Grasse and the surrounding area are very nice (a bit further from the beach).

In the areas near me, the only beaches are in the Camargue, and I really do not recommend you go anywhere near that in the summer - it is bogland and the mosquitoes have to be seen to be believed (it is wonderful in many ways as a nature reserve, but really not for a holiday with children in summer).

Teensy Sun 23-Jun-13 22:04:34

Thank you! What is the area that you live in? I should probably buy a rough guide or look online!

Liara Sun 23-Jun-13 22:07:25

I live in the Luberon area.

Teensy Sun 23-Jun-13 22:21:52

Ok, thanks again for your time. I will look into the area too. Think I might have a look at eurocamps near the coast as an option. Thanks again!

Teensy Sun 23-Jun-13 22:34:27

Luberon looks so beautiful! I am going to suggest it to my husband. Would you recommend it as holiday destination with young kids?

Liara Mon 24-Jun-13 20:34:42

It really depends on what you enjoy doing. We have young kids (6 and 3) and are never short of things to do, but then our kids do love exploring, walks, etc., which are the kind of things this area is really good for.

If you prefer to chill out on the beach, then it's not as good obviously. If you like lots and lots of cultural city activities, then there is plenty but would involve an hour or so in the car to go to.

The Luberon is fantastic for its nature and its fabulous food, there are also many pretty villages. To me, that is quintessential Provence (hence why we live here!).

Hassled Mon 24-Jun-13 20:38:59

We stayed near Draguignan a few years ago - easy drive to St Maxime and Port Grimaud (which is amazing) and just beautiful - lots of good walks etc.
We found a villa through Owners Direct - there's a fair few around, often with pools.

dufflefluffle Mon 24-Jun-13 20:39:26

I love St Raphael and around there. If I was going with kids that age I'd go to a campsite chalet (there're lots around)
You can eat at restaurants on the beach and rent sunbeds there.
I don't remember good cycle paths there.

Lavenderhoney Fri 28-Jun-13 17:37:24

Avignon ( vaucluse) is lovely, about an hour from the beach and loads to do. If you are lucky the wine festivals are on, and often there are medieval days so everyone is dressed upsmile

There are lots of nice campsites around nice, or look on holiday lettings for Provence and see what areas you like. There is a zoo near aix en provence and its so strange to see giraffes on the Provence landscapesmile

Choose where its easy to fly to and that might drive you where to pick- Birmingham to avignon, lhr or gatwick to nce or Marseilles...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now