Will DH be allowed to travel on this passport?

(3 Posts)
GrumpyOldHorsewoman Fri 21-Jun-13 12:56:28

DH holds an Irish passport and we are travelling to Portugal in late July returning August 3rd. His passport expires on August 13th and I have the forms to renew it, but it's an unbelievable faff (even though it's only a renewal, we still need his pics and application endorsed and stamped by an accredited professional who has known him more than 2 years). I'm not confident we can get it all done before we go and have heard that he can travel on it within the EU up until the day it expires. Is this correct? Or is he going to get turned home by Ryanair (yes, I know...) when we check in?

scaevola Fri 21-Jun-13 13:00:13

EU passport holders travelling within EU (and EFTA/EEA) need travel documents valid for the proposed duration of stay. It's prudent to have a bit over, in case of travel disruption, but that's not actually a requirement.

Passport is easily the most convenient, but some nationalities can cross some borders on other photo ID such as ID card.

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Fri 21-Jun-13 14:24:37

Thanks Scaevola. I thought he may not need to renew before travelling, but it's good to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now