How much money is sensible per week?

(19 Posts)
Shelly32 Mon 19-Aug-13 20:06:31

After having a bit of a worry, I decided to take the credit card just in case. We bought quite a lot of food from Walmart as we had a kitchenette (microwave , cupboards and fridge). We made ham/salad rolls for the day and had cereal for breakfast most mornings. Even after buying icecreams, snacks and drinks from the parks, there was enough money to eat out at night at nicer places such as Miller's, Olive Garden etc. We tipped the recommended too.

We spent no more than £700 per week in the end and we didn't feel like we scrimped, particularly not in the evenings.Thanks for the great advice about Walmart and for those who are on a budget, we could have done it for a lot less too if we'd tried. smile

thoroughlymodernmillie Sat 06-Jul-13 12:46:40

We did the Disney dining plan, but still spent £1,500 in two weeks. They add 20 - 25% onto everything and everyone expects a tip.
If you are away for two weeks can you not put everything you would have spent in this country towards spending money. For example your petrol you would have spent going to work. We did this and it boosted up our spending money

WhoNickedMyName Sun 23-Jun-13 13:10:31

We spent about 2.5k in two weeks, that's two adults and one child - but we ate out for every single meal, plus bought snacks, ice creams and drinks everywhere, whenever we fancied them. On a budget we could probably have done it for 1.5k.

fledtoscotland Sun 23-Jun-13 13:06:22

It depends on the state but you have local taxes, state taxes and tips to factor on top of every price you see so a $10 burger works out at about $13-15 depending on the state. You have to tip for everything from porters, waitresses to taxis. Even getting a coffee means a tip.

Shelly32 Sun 23-Jun-13 11:22:53

EEk, a grand a week?!! Macdonald's here we come!

fledtoscotland Sun 23-Jun-13 09:21:54

I take that for a week in Spain. We found US very expensive by the time local taxes and tips were applied and spent nearly £1k in a week in food and drink for 2 adults.

It's a tight budget, but doable with a fair amount of planning, seeking out offers, cheap deals etc. And don't feel you have to eat out all the time if you're self catering.

kelly14 Sat 22-Jun-13 20:07:17

I would take at least 2 grand for 2 weeks for food and drink.
We went Disney lots as kids with my parents and my mum said she spent about this then just for food and drink and that was over 12 years ago!!

We just spent nearly a month in oz and for (3 adults and 1 child) the food and drink bill came in at over $15,000!!! yes really!!!! eye watering!!! thanfully I didn't pay!

Shelly32 Sat 22-Jun-13 14:47:16

Thank you Mummymeister...Off to Dibb now to check it out!

mummymeister Fri 21-Jun-13 19:39:16

hmm but be wary of it because generally if the kids eat free the adult meal prices are loaded. don't waste your tenner until you have checked it out. have you been on the dibb website and got the two guides WDW with kids and beyond Disney. these will help a lot with your planning OP.

Shelly32 Fri 21-Jun-13 18:09:52

I've just seen a 'Kids Eat Free ' card that you can buy for £10 on a lot of ticket sites. Looks good for a budget like mine!

Shelly32 Fri 21-Jun-13 18:03:08

Thanks for that tip! There should be a Walmart near us; we're on
I- Drive near SeaWorld. Okay so maybe this month I'll really try and keep our shopping bills to a minimum so that I can add £150-200 to the holiday budget. I'm sure if I meal plan carefully I can do it! Plus, the weeks we are away, that food shopping money can also be put towards our holiday budget! smile

Bluecarrot Fri 21-Jun-13 11:52:54

Oh, just saw you are self catering. Walmart is your friend smile I remember first time I was there just open mouthed surprised at the prices for volume of produce- so cheap when in season.

Bluecarrot Fri 21-Jun-13 11:50:49

* if only offered water.

We brought food with us but used a cool bag and froze our sandwiches as they would have gone off otherwise!

Bluecarrot Fri 21-Jun-13 11:48:38

From what I understand, anything less than a 20% tip is an insult to the waiting staff.

You can eat v cheap outside of the parks if you are willing to make a little bit of a sacrifice on quality

Are you self catering?

In the disney parks, if you bring bottles you can get them refilled for free at all the stalls, or refill at the drinking fountains. They have great little stick sachets of powder to add to water. I can't think of the name but in Walmart they were 10 for $1 and made dd drink more than she would have if only

noramum Fri 21-Jun-13 11:42:42

Be careful in the US, on top of prices on the menus come charges, tax and tip, easy another 30%.

Shelly32 Fri 21-Jun-13 10:30:04

Oh sad My DD are only 3 and a half so don't eat huge amounts. I was thinking buffet breakfast, Sub way sandwiches or salads for lunch and then I thought that early bird menus were cheap in the evening and that in lots of places kids eat free.. We are self catering and staying outside Disney but there is a meal plan option for when in Disney that might work out cheaper..

Daisytunes Fri 21-Jun-13 10:14:55

It's enough if you can normally eat out as a family for a full day on £35. It wouldn't be enough for me.

Are you self catering? Even then I think it would be tight on the days you are out and about.

Shelly32 Fri 21-Jun-13 10:02:52

We're off to Florida for two weeks. Is £500 spending money (to put towards breakfast, lunch, dinner , snacks, drinks etc) enough per week for two adults and two children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now