Inspire me - first 'school' holiday

(13 Posts)
chickenliversfortea Thu 20-Jun-13 10:59:11

Some places are cheaper in August as it's their holiday/rainy season etc. Florida and Italy are places I've got good cheap deals at the last minute. As long as you book flights ASAP you can get good deals on places to rent.
Last minute cruises are a good AI option. August is pricey but Cruise Nation often has brilliant last minute fares. If you pick a western med cruise you can have a different beach everyday to sit on!

mummymeister Thu 20-Jun-13 10:10:32

the longer you procrastinate the less there will be out there OP. pick a place and then narrow your search down on this for flights and accommodation. you could do a touring holiday in a camper van in Canada and take your accom with you!

lamandler Wed 19-Jun-13 22:15:57

Random suggestion, but what about long haul to somewhere like Canada? I just feel a bit ill at the thought if spending £££ on a rainy caravan holiday in Brittany!

jamtoast12 Wed 19-Jun-13 17:14:54

Be careful booking self catering etc abroad, we spent £1000 in Majorca when we went half board for a week! It's so much cheaper to go all inclusive. i find its the easiest way to holiday with kids... if they dont like to eat one thing you can just get them something else!

brittany is good if weather a concerne but its not a cheap holiday when you factor spends, travel etc. we went last week of July 2 years ago and it rained 5 days out of 7! It was also our most ever expensive holiday. Ok, we got 2 weeks for £1500 but we spent over £1600!

Ruthiebabes Wed 19-Jun-13 15:39:28

Easyjet holidays.. 11 nights from 22nd Aug to 1 bed apt in Majorca.. £1800 .. worth looking at this site.

ChasingSquirrels Wed 19-Jun-13 13:12:55

I have just booked ryanair flights for 4 to spain at the end of aug, return 3 sep - back to school the next day. Flight costs £579 (they dropped suddenly, was looking at around £800!).

Accommodation, not actually sorted yet - but I couldn't not book the flights at that price - will probably be around £800 for 12 nights.

We have done this for the last 4 or 5 years, same last 10 ish days of the summer holiday. Typically cost around £1,400 for flights, transfers in spain and accommodation. Spends while there can be as much or as little as you like - self catering doesn't have to be any more expensive than staying at home, eating out every night obviously will be more.

We don't do much, pool, beach, relax smile

DS's are now 10 & 7. The first year when ds1 was 5 (just finished reception) ds2 was 2.5, I was a newly single parent and my mum came with us. It was hard work with ds2 because you have to watch them all the time at that age.

lamandler Wed 19-Jun-13 13:05:58

Budget, I would have hoped 1500, maybe 2000? That's pretty shocking for two week holiday. I can see I have to revise my expectations a lot...

I was thinking Brittany actually, any ideas on where to stay? Not averse to nice campsite but not under canvas.

noramum Wed 19-Jun-13 10:14:36

Majorca is hot at the end of August, think about 35 degrees plus.

Brittany? You can drive if you are not too far north.

How about northern Italy, Lake Garda?

jamtoast12 Tue 18-Jun-13 23:14:00

Monarch by far the cheapest for late deals...I've been searching for ages and booked with them for 5 wk time. Family of four can get Majorca all inclusive for £1500 at start of school hols! May not be the best hotel but a UK holiday could cost that when you inc spends.

mummymeister Tue 18-Jun-13 23:11:02

you have left it very late with school hols only 5/6 weeks away so I would suggest you be very flexible and look on a lot of the late deals sites. yes the prices are hugely hiked so set a budget and stick to it. check out last minute sites and see what there is going. what is your budget OP? does it have to be abroad?

Dackyduddles Tue 18-Jun-13 21:54:02

Try along by deauville. Not exactly deauville as bit pricey but that region.

Dackyduddles Tue 18-Jun-13 21:53:27

Europe? Tbh Normandy beaches? Exciting as foreign but close?

lamandler Tue 18-Jun-13 21:52:13

I know I have probably left this all far too late, but I am new to holidaying in school summers and have no idea where we should go.

I think I can get two weeks off at the end of August, and DH and I would love to take DS (5) and DD (3) to a not-too-hot beach destination, probably self catering apartment or villa.

We loved Majorca when we went a few years ago (Pollensa and Soller) but money not so plentiful at the minute - and I am pretty shocked at the leap in prices in July and August. I have much to learn....!

Any tips, ideas, advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now